Boxing Day nightmare for Wishin Too

niggle

Arrived at boat at 8am and saw this

Pi&&ed right off so when Dave phoned to ask what the sea state was like........I told him what had happened and he invited me out!......So over to Cobbs and out I went.we lost two good fish then just dogs and a conger.......it was so much better than being at home grumpy......thanks Dave

The marina owner phoned me to say he has righted the boat and my new £100 bilge pump is not working!?......or isn't now!

Worse of all he said the engine turns over....................that's now well and truly F@cked then as it was totally submerged!!!!!

Now over to both the marina insurance and mine to sort things out!,,,,,

Nigel

post-1213-0-54856200-1388080530_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-32439900-1388080562_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-33079300-1388080586_thumb.jpg

Bad luck Nigel

What a thing to happen to Wishin Too

Hope they can get it sorted out quickly

What got into the Marina owner , if he has hydrauliced the engine he should get a new one for you.

I am sure you will get plenty of offers for a ride, you can even get a slow one with me

Tony

Nigel as said on faceache really gutted for you if there's anything any of us can do just ask

I'm puzzled, why would a new bilge pump pack up? more likely to be a power issue drained batteries perhaps? especially after all the rain of late, was shore power connected? whatever the cause hope the insurers play ball and get you up and running again pdq

Martin

As per Facebook, gutted for you Nigel. I personally couldnt imagine fishing with Dave while my pride and joy was looking so poorly (If I had a pride and joy that is) but I doubt you could do anything there anyway.

Incidentally, I would have tried turning the engine over too .... obviously from above that is a no no?? Why?

Graham,as the engine was totally emerged all intakes would have been full of water so unless the injectors were taken out to release the water from the combustion chambers........then the engine can hydraulic and bend con rods and possibly the crank.

Same thing happens to cars when driven through floods,that's why some 4x4 off roads have their air intake snorkel up the windscreen pillar so water doesn't get into the engine cylinders

Dreadful news Nigel, and I hope you can get the engine fixed as soon as possible.

I couldn't see if you had identified the root cause of the sinking?

- A few inches of rain shouldn't have done that, even with blocked cockpit drains. A failed bilge pump rarely causes it, unless it was pumping water uphill with the weight of rain water, and the failure caused an open siphon circuit? You might need to reposition the new pump if that's the case.

- Have you checked for a split hose, or damaged shaft seals or through hull transducer, or for a damaged sea cock/skin fitting?

- You might even have been holed by another boat or storm debris (e.g. a floating railway sleeper going down river in flood waters). A split in fibreglass might be hidden by antifoul etc and doesn't have to be big.

It's possible this could have happened at any time, and had it happened at sea, I know you would have noticed, and probably fixed it using onboard materials and spares, but at least this way it didn't involve any risk to life. 

When that root cause is traced, it would definitely be worth reminding the insurers that they could have been funding a total loss, instead of repairs to a boat that sunk in shallow water and was recovered, with no loss of life.

Mike

PS The RNLI have tested and have proven that a 3" hole just beneath the waterline will let in half a ton of water every MINUTE....so this might have all happened very quickly!

Mike it's on a static pontoon.......cause unknown but possibly mooring ropes got caught up?boat fouled up pontoon then flood water gushed in through scuppers and into engine well

Very unlikely it's holed as most of hull is 2 inches thick

I'd have thought a failed sea cock would be prime candidate? It would take a far mass of water to push her under, but saying that with all the flooding and weather we have had it also wouldn't surprise me.

As Martin said, a bilge pump on battery would only do so much and cope for so long, a bit different if on shore power? But it's still only a small pump against a huge amount of water, mind.

As you say, over to the insurance now, in my experience they should be pretty swift. A new engine and leg would be cheaper than a new boat so I'd imagine that is the way they will go with it?