My first decent Conger

Paul D

FIshed out of Christchurch today. Was unable to make the early start needed for the cod competition, so we ended up setting out at 9 AM.

Made for the gulley near XChurch ledge where 3 or 4 charter boats were fishing.

This turned out ot be Pout city. Weather was turning worst as the wind was blowing against the tide.

I then had what felt like a hookup with the bottom, but the bottom was moving differently to the rise and fall of the boat ( which by now was considerable ). I thought I was into a nice fat cod but as the fish eventually reached the surface it was a sizeable ( for me ) Eel.

Dan netted the eel as it had rolled around my other trace. Lifted it into the boat and then all hell let loose. The eel bit through my net and made of towards my foot where it bit into my boots, it then heded for teh front of the boat where it bit through my freshwater container.

I managed to grab hold of it and lift it back into the net for weighing ( 22lb less 2lb for the net = 20 lb ).

and Dan took a piccie with the phone. Then releases the eel to fight another day.

So a good trip out in the end.

The sea was then getting much worst so headed back to Mudeford.

paulconger.jpg

Well it was nice to be out with approx 160+ anglers fishing the Cod Comp.

Weather wasn't too bad while the tide and wind were going in the same direction ( Flood) but got worse when the tide turned. It was still fishable and much better than i was expecting from the various forecast reports.

Fishing was slow with only a few Whiting and Dogs for most of the day until Duncan hooked into something a bit heavier.

A Nice cod of just under 15lbs which netted him 3rd place and a nice cheque for

post-14-1104435964.jpg

Annoyed me - I thought it was a cod until it got to the surface.

Nice Cod Duncan thats twice the size of the biggest one I have ever caught laugh.gif

Out of interest, I presume it was caught before HW, since it doesn't look too choppy in the photo ?

fish was caught on the first of the ebb - but before the boat went round!

sea state never (well except off Kimmeredge sometimes!) shows on photos - looks mirror calm where you are with that conger Paul...... wink.gif

thanks to Paul J for the netting operation - this man has style! Wasn't going to miss netting it first time whatever - fortunately as he got it I got him by the back of his lifejacket foiling his escape over the side with the fish..... blink.gif

that odd ounce cost a real packet - as they gave joint first's to best charter/best private; Dream On had a 15lb 0oz for 500 squids but 14lb 15oz still got a sizable donation to SWMBOs shoe collection (well I would like to fish again next year!)

Nice to see them permit the privates - I think they will do it again next year too.

Finally a note on poor James Parker - he is/was feeling so poorly he had to cry off (which Paul reckons means really really bad..........); clearly I just happened on the fish he had already booked as his!

Funny old game - first cod of the season for me; lets hope there's some more in January

Well Done to all the hardy soles who fished yesterday

Shame that only nine Cod came to 164 rods but at least a really good fish of 31lb 8oz won it.

A close thing Adam as an ex Club Member Graham Bealing caught it [ It was on a charter boat though]

Well done to Duncan, nice codling shame about the ounce that cost you

Well done paul, those eels are getting bigger! wink.gifbiggrin.gif Im impressed you managed to hold it up for the photo biggrin.gif

and well done duncan anouther good result in a match cool.gif , sorry I missed out on the day, but thanks for the invite biggrin.gif

Ive been Knocked sideways by this virus thingy, wich struck xmas eve and im just over it now , New years day! mad.gif It was a great Xmas for me mad.gifmad.gif

Hpoe everyone else had a better xmas than me

Happy New year everyone biggrin.gif

James