Ultrasonic Antifouling Test

Steve S

I’ve just taken the plunge and bought Ultrasonic Antifouling for my Botnia Targa 31. I’m guessing there must be some interest in this type of anti fouling solution and how well it works locally with the paints getting less effective by the year it seems.

I bought the Ultra 10 from Ultrasonic Antifouling ltd of Poole, it’s not a cheap solution to fouling. They advised me a 1 transducer device should be enough for my boat if fitted close to the transom near the centre line. They told me it should work really well on the boat as it has a solid GRP hull ie not a sandwich construction but there would be limited protection for the legs due to the ultrasonic losses between the hull and the legs but that the most protection for them could be obtained by fitting the transducer close to the transom.

My boats on a swinging mooring but I have a 200watt solar panel fitted which I calculated will have easily enough power to run the Ultra 10 except possibly in December and January.

I’ll post updates on how the install went how well it works.

Installation

The ultrasonic transducer that gives algae and other weeds a hard time needs to be fitted near the centre line (20cm) but away from the main stringers and around 10-20cm from the transom on a boat with stern drives for best effect. My tub has twin Volvo D4 engines and I spied a good location that met the criteria between them, the only snag was I could not physically get in there to prepare the surface and fit the transducer. By a happy coincidence my Daughters boyfriend came over at the weekend and he got co-opted in to help, he could fit between the engines, joy, he got the job, lucky man!

Ultrasonic Transducer for anti-fouling

Fitting the controller was straightforward, just a case of finding an empty space in the engine bay next to the solar panel controller in this case and adding an external CCB and on/off switch on the battery side of the main isolating switches.

Ultrasonic Control Box

First Test

Installation completed I turned it on, the green LED showed life for 5 mins or so and there should have been a red one on as well to show operation of the transducer but there wasn’t, then the green LED went out. Damn it appeared to be faulty, there was nothing for it but to call up the manufacturer. They were very helpful and said they were very reliable, faults rare etc. A new controller arrived next day.

For the second trip to Tigerfish my son came with me as I knew I could not get to the transducer if required, I could touch it but that was it. Lloyd is bigger than me and has longer arms, just long enough. This time I powered up the unit with the transducer disconnected, bingo! both red and green, connect the transducer, just green, damn. Without going into too much detail the fault turned out to be the cabling supplied with the unit, it had an internal short, with a small amount of cable movement after loosening
the clamps holding the outer sheaths the short disappeared and everything worked.

I made another call to the manufacturer next day to explain what happened and they we very apologetic and have sent out a replacement cable, which I will have to fit, sigh. They also arranged collection of the dead control unit.

Next step, see how well it works.

• 1 year later...

Ultrasonic Test 1st year results - Summary - helps keep the hull clear but not an alternative for anti-fouling paint.

Key Events

December 2012 -  Boat launched, the anti-foul was Jotun seaforce 30 black applied May 2012, only cleaned before launch.

March 2013 - Ultrasonic anti-foul fitted

September 2013 - Lift out for a mid season clean, some slime, some barnacles but not terrible, there was speed loss of about 4 knots (down from 37). The legs however were pretty poor with lots of weed attached (as usual)

January 2014 – boat lifted to be on the hard for a couple of months. Hull was pretty clean, the ultrasonic antifouling had been turned off from the start of November. Just shows fouling really is a warm weather problem.

Conclusion

As the ultrasonic was not fitted from first launch in December there was a chance for some slime to develop past the stage when the ultrasonics are supposed to destroy it so I can’t say for definite how effective it is, however, at this stage I think it’s not “the solution” to fouling problems but more of an aid.

This season I’m painting on anti-fouling and will run the ultrasonic’s right from launch so that should give it the best possible chance for it to show it’s stuff.

Note also it’s a bit power hungry, I have an 180 watt solar panel fitted and that was not enough to keep it powered up during the shorter days from the start of November till end February.

Steve

• 2 years later...

Update and final conclusion, the story after over 3 years use.

Ultrasonic Antifouling works well on Tigerfish (a solid hull) when used in in conjunction with a single coat of antifouling.

Tigerfish speed loss at end of season 100 to 150 revs, approx 1 to 1.5 knots, fuel consumption does not  increase very much over the season (fuel used v distance traveled is noted at every fill up) this year it has gone from 2.15 l/nm to 2.25 l/nm

Savings

Saves fuel. On my previous boat a Merry Fisher 805 fuel consumption steadily increased over the season until I had an end of summer scrub off; top speed also was markedly down. Amount saved is a function of hours used obviously.

1 coat of antifoul instead of 2, so uses 2.5l instead of 5l

No summer scrub off needed.

Would I buy it again?

Yes I would for another solid hull boat, Tigerfish a Botnia Targa 31 has a solid hull construction.

For a sandwich construction eg most if not all of the Jeanneau's I would need to research where to fit and how many to fit as apparently the sandwich hull construction deadens the ultrasonic sound levels somewhat. 

Note: Ultrasonic modules use about 20w continuous and need to be on during daylight hours at least, a 180w solar panel provides enough power from March to October, but for November to February it struggles so the system is activated less and less. I fitted a voltage control switch so that the battery does not go totally flat and also a light activated switch so that it will only try and come on in daylight hours during the winter months which is the time of day the fouling build up mainly occurs. I'm now on a mooring with mains power so no problem.