Stolen Engines

derek

Just had a bad thought, what would of been the out come if the marine camp was breached and the wrong people got in there?????

Malcolm

I think the marine camp security is probably a little tighter than ANY boatyard in the area wink.gif

I think if the car park is advertising (and charging) as a "secure" car park, such as airport parking etc then it may be a similar example Martin.

Only trouble with that is the cost? work out how much it would cost to keep a car in one of these so called secure car parks 24/7 365days per year on a pro rata floor space occupied and teh cost would come out more than most if not all boat parks in the area. Would we be prepared to pay more than we do now? maybe for a short while, perhaps after a loss but long term? realistically I doubt it, we already feel robbed blink.gif

This next quote is lifted from NCP car parks

Please note that although we have the above responsibility to you, you should bear in mind that public car parks are open to everyone. We cannot guarantee that people will not enter into the Car Park and cause damage to property or engage in criminal behaviour. Accordingly, you park in our Car Park at your own risk. We do not guarantee the security of your vehicle and/or its contents.
I would however agree with most of your other points. The only good thing is they have by their actions acknowledged there is a problem if only by their actions in upgrading some of the security issues which hopefully will be ongoing.

I am not trying to defend any yard or be controversial just trying to put it all into perspective. Look on stolen boat and research which yards and areas being targeted it really is an eye opener.

I will though be asking Rockley what they are planning on doing to protect my pride and joy before I renew my contract for this year.

I would say our gear whatever it is and wherever it is, is not safe..... anywhere..any vigilantes out there?

Martin

martin, note that ncp car parks are as advertised as open to the public, i assume they mean 24hrs a day,with little or no security, hence park at your own risk, not so at rockley surely?? i certainly would not leave a boat or equipment at a boat park so remote and poorly fenced as this one seems to be, without adequate security, for which i think you pay in the exorbitant charges. I think graham makes a good point. derek. unsure.gifweep.gif

Edited by codpiece

Snipped from Gatwich airport terms

(i)

damage to your vehicle (whether caused accidentally or by way of vandalism);

(ii)

theft of, or from, your vehicle while the vehicle is in the car park, unless such damage or theft is caused by the negligence of the Airport or its agents or employees, and then only to the extent that the Airport

I'm sure if insurance companies can find someone else to blame/carry the can, they will. If there is the slightest chance they can not have to pay out and get the boat park to foot the bill they will be the first one on to them, the fact the don't speaks for itself.

Some years ago I was burgled, I was with southern monitering who looked after my alarm, however the alarm went wrong about a month before hand, after repeated calls and cancelled appointments which left me with no alarms, thus, there was no call to the monitoring station regarding the breakin, I held them responsible, and told the insurance company about that, but the insurance company just weren't interested and chose to pay for the damages and losses themselves, that was a great deal of money involved, I think it was in the region of 15-20k. They probably knew it would have been a lost cause.

Martin, don't dismiss the word negligence, of premises and or staff and it's contribution,(to the theft) a good legal beagle would certainly i think in this instance find one or both. especialy as the yard by stepping up it's security is tacitly admitting some responsibility and lack of its duty of care on this occasion,

But, so be it, Derek, sad.gif

Why do we accept and pay for this culture of insurance for theft ?

What info and feedback have you had from Dorset Police apart from a crime number ??

Grapevine and hearsay suggest:

They came from Turlin Moor !

They fish for Clams when they can ! or anything else !!

The outlet for the stolen goods is Liverpool !

Dorset Police know who they are but cant or won't catch them !!

I look forward to a massive hike in my insurance premium this year.

Thanks all

D

Porthcawl are an agent who Brian uses i us Oconner & Co who are also an agent the actual insurance company are Haven knox Johnson you can get a quote on line, which i have just done and it is slighty dearer than my agent.

We had good meeting with the appointed asser who took all our details and a statement .

We await the outcome, they wait for a month to see if the property reappears

Cheers derek

I'm at work at the mo ( lunch break ).

Why is it that we just accept that these aerosols ( say it with an Irish accent ) can just help themselves to things that we have to go out and work for.

They are probably scrounging off the state ( tax payer ) as well.

If a severe enough penalty is given to the thieves and recievers of stolen goods, they may not be quite so quick to do it ! ! ! !

" F " ing AEROSOLS. mad.gif

Jim

Why do we accept and pay for this culture of insurance for theft ?

What info and feedback have you had from Dorset Police apart from a crime number ??

Grapevine and hearsay suggest:

They came from Turlin Moor !

They fish for Clams when they can ! or anything else !!

The outlet for the stolen goods is Liverpool !

Dorset Police know who they are but cant or won't catch them !!

I look forward to a massive hike in my insurance premium this year.

Thanks all

D

Not Turlin Moor.

It's an organised Eastern European gang from the Midlands.

Apparently one team do the Reconnaissance, 2nd team arrive a day or 2 later to remove the engines, 3rd team take them out of the country.

A lorry was stopped at Dover a few weeks ago with 130 engines bound for Estonia, although South Africa and India are popular destinations.

Meeting with Assessor appeared to go well, supplied him with all service records etc. and a couple of estimates for repairs and replacement. All I can do now is wait for the offer from the insurance company, then probably try negotiating. cool.gif

Edited by Brian

A great shame they can't divert their undoubted talent (hard to admit, but true), knowledge, organisation and attention to detail into something more legal and less offensive. They have all the mental skills which, if channelled suitably would hold down well paid jobs.

The one thing they can't do is run at 3950 feet per second.............. ph34r.gif

'Nemesis' arrives quicker than you think!

blink.gif

Hope all turns out well for you guys! A place available on 'the pocket rocket' anytime. You are amongst so many friends who know all too well where you are right now.

Good luck

The one thing they can't do is run at 3950 feet per second..............  ph34r.gif

'Nemesis' arrives quicker than you think!

blink.gif

smile9.gif Even that's to good for them mad.gif

Just one thought on your insurance claims: could you claim for loss of other items such as loss of use? Reasoning is insurance purpose is to primarily put you back to the position you were in prior to the event. Your boat is useless without a power plant and you are still paying for its upkeep stack and store etc without having the benefit of use so you are in effect out of pocket having paid for a benefit you are now not receiving. Even if not you might be able to use this as a lever for a more sympathetic settlement.

Just a thought

Martin

Hi Brian, have messaged you on FB concerning engine costs.

I too am going through an insurance claim at present but thankfully not claiming against my insurance. Cant say too much now but i am putting a claim in for lost wages , time, travel, cost of boat hire, ect. Hopefully you may be able to claim for these too as Martin says. Insurance companies do not realise how time consuming and stressful a situation like this puts you through. Wish you success in your fight as like most insurance companies they will probably only want to pay you the secondhand value of your engine.

I think more Joe public should patrol the streets late at night in their cars and report suspicious activities to the Police. Food for thought maybe ..

A discount / refund from the boat yard whilst you are out of action would be generous! They still have wages to pay etc etc.

Maybe a reduction in fees whilst your LOA is reduced!!! (Sorry about that!!)

You would only get expense for "boat hire" should you produce a receipt, but your time and storage costs during settlement wouldn't be unheard of, as Trev says.

Fingers crossed,

Rob

Just heard via another club member (James Morgan), who was one of the 7 who had an engine stolen, that the police have recovered 7 outboards in the north of england. So far they haven't confirmed they are ours, but the descriptions appear match.

Watch this space. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by Brian

Just heard via another club member (James Morgan), who was one of the 7 who had an engine stolen, that the police have recovered 7 outboards in the north of england. So far they haven't confirmed they are ours, but the descriptions appear match.

Watch this space.  smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

So is Turlin Moor and Liverpool back in the frame ?

Or have I still got it wrong ??