Stolen Engines

derek

Hi all

Just to make you aware i had my 90hp Suzuki stolen off my boat last night from Rockley Boat Park, Brian also had his 70hp Suzuki stolen, plus a further five engines taken the boat park have pictures on cctv which the police have taken away.

Police think it is a gang operating throught the uk

So we need to be extra security aware

They did not take my 4hp Mercury

So if any body hears of a 90 or 70 Suzuki going cheap give us a call

Cheers Derek

When will these scum ever get caught .. ??

Utter sympathy for the victims,.

I don't understand these security cameras, they NEVER seem to working or the footage is poor etc etc,

Secure boat storage , ?? No such thing ,

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I'm absolutely gutted for you all. Brian has only just put his boat down there!! (And I only took mine OUT middle of October)

How on earth does someone go in there and remove so many very large, very heavy engines! Unbelievable!

I'm absolutely gutted for you all. Brian has only just put his boat down there!! (And I only took mine OUT middle of October)

How on earth does someone go in there and remove so many very large, very heavy engines! Unbelievable!

CCTV shows a van and two cars leaving at 4 am. So probably a lot of them.

They cut down a hedge, removed a section of fence and moved two boats to get in through the back of the site between two caravans.

Tristan reckons it was the same Eastern European gang that have been operating all over the country.

Apparently normal security weren't on last night, it was a contractor (I wonder if he was Eastern European?).

They left a few tools on the ground, there was an ugly looking knife by the back of my boat, so probably best no-one approached them.

They wrecked my boarding ladder, broke a trim tab stepping on it and stole my cockpit cover.

Edited by Brian

They had obviously done their homework to find a way to the back fence. They also knew which panel to go for, all the others had boats on stands blocking, the panel they took out had 2 boats on trailers which they moved.

We'll soon see how good Porthcawl are. My engine was just over 3 years old with 75 hours on it and just under 2 years warranty left.

I'll be watching Brian.

Hope they cough up. There's no point having insurance if they don't pay out.

Jim

We'll soon see how good Porthcawl are. My engine was just over 3 years old with 75 hours on it and just under 2 years warranty left.

Are you not insured by the boatyard's insurance Brian? I know we are at Cobbs.

I doubt Rockley will be too quick in offering that information but very good point Stuie

Stuie

I think you ought to read your terms and conditions of berthing at Cobbs, I just have and after reading would be surprised if the yards insurance would cover theft it states:

Subject to Clause 4 of Schedule 2 of the Annual Services and Berthing

Package Agreement the OWNER assumes all risk and responsibility for

the security of the BOAT and its safe operation at all times. The OWNER

shall maintain in full force and effect a fully comprehensive insurance

programme featuring comprehensive hull cover for the full market value

of the BOAT, its gear and equipment (and any other property in the

MARINA belonging to or in the care and custody of the OWNER) and

third party liability insurance against the liabilities of the OWNER, their

crew, guests and invitees with an indemnity of not less than TWO

MILLION POUNDS STERLING per incident for the BOAT and its tenders

together with such other insurance cover as is normal for a boat of its

size, power and description. Such insurance to be effected with

reputable insurers. Additionally where the OWNER engages paid crew

for the BOAT they shall maintain a policy of Employers' Liability

Insurance fully in accordance with current legal requirements.

5.2  The OWNER shall not cancel, surrender or materially alter the terms of

any part of the insurance programme without the prior written consent

of the COMPANY.

5.3  The OWNER shall furnish the COMPANY on request with full details and

legible copies of the current insurance certificates and policies together

with evidence of their goodstanding.

I would love to be proved wrong but I would think for theft your own boats insurance should cover you. I would also think it normal practice to claim on your own insurance then for them to claim against the yard if appropriate. That's exactly as it happens in car insurance claims and can't see it being any different for boats.

Sorry to hear this news lads, one point, Rockley will almost certainly have a duty of care consumate to accepting your considerable fee for storage, part of thiere care is the cctv and security patrols, (put in place by them) the latter seems to me to be wanting, the security of the perimiter fence sounds suspect especialy taking into account the total value of'' goods'' stored on the property which they own, small point lads your joint amount of legal insurance must be considerable!! have you considderd the viability of pooling it and hiring the best legal mind you can, cos it sounds to me that rockly may be found wanting and will wrigle!! wish you all well, Derek,

mad.gifmad.gifweep.gifweep.gif

I actually don't think the security at rockley is any worse to that of other yards, ask those that are in Ribs and have been robbed or those in Cobbs that have lost kit,

As an aside I was in the yard today and was told that they have put in additional cameras and perimeter fence alarm this week. A little late but they are trying. Also recently the gates were made more secure however that's not a lot of help when scrotes go through a wire fence.

Regarding insurance no yard will cover your goods for theft. They will only cover you for damage caused by their activities/staff. Try claiming from a car park owner if your car is broken into or stolen.

Martin

Try claiming from a car park owner if your car is broken into or stolen.

Martin

I think if the car park is advertising (and charging) as a "secure" car park, such as airport parking etc then it may be a similar example Martin.

Although I have sympathy with the lads at Rockley, considering the cost of storage and the knowledge that the boat park is extremely secluded and the product is very desirable to crooks I don't think that a single camera pointing somewhere towards their office and a front gate that until very recently, could be opened using any flat implement (such as a knife of screwdriver) gives the impression that the management cared too much for their customers property. Many domestic homes have better CCTV systems than Rockley did and taking the above into consideration together with the minimal cost of a reasonable CCTV system that is pretty poor IMHO. Whether it could be classed as negligent or not is something that the insurers will be looking at i'm sure.

Security is Realy bad, I regularly walk my dogs at 6:15am down at rockley and park near the slipway just as I did this morning. I have never been aproached by any security for over 2yrs asking why I was there, all I see from time to time like this morning at 6:30am is a Poole council van emptying the bins. Some one must of heard them in the early hours as when I was there it was so quiet you could hear birds landing in the trees. Rockley should take some responsabily surely for the thefts to happen, think every member should get some of this DNA smart water weather you have an outboard or inboard but I'm sure everyone has a radio atleast that can be marked for such a small amount of money. My sympathies to all that lost their engines and had damage caused.

Malcolm