Volvo Tamd22 Inboard Diesel Advice Needed...

Jamie W

3500 I'm 2-3 knots down also

Sorry if i missed this, but how do you know? Or is this from previous performance of your boat?

If you are going by manufacturer quoted figures - i would assume that they don't always tell the 100% truth, maybe they had \ you had 2-3knts of tide when took that reading.

If it is a manufactures claim, do you have exactly the same prop? Is it in perfect condition and prefectly balanced? Just because it says 19x17 ect doesnt mean it hasn't been tuned and changed by a prop repair company. If the boat wasn't new to you, the previous owner may have wanted a quicker-to-plane time etc etc, or just tweaked the prop on the Training Bank and had to have it made smaller to be balanced.

Sort out the coolant issue - as that is a worry.

I had a coolant issue with a past car, it would loose water, and i thought the worst as it never leaked any on the drive! Answer was: when up to temp \ full coolant pressure, the seal on the water pump would weep - at rest or cold, no leak!

Rob

3500 I'm 2-3 knots down also

Sorry if i missed this, but how do you know? Or is this from previous performance of your boat?

If you are going by manufacturer quoted figures - i would assume that they don't always tell the 100% truth, maybe they had \ you had 2-3knts of tide when took that reading.

If it is a manufactures claim, do you have exactly the same prop? Is it in perfect condition and prefectly balanced? Just because it says 19x17 ect doesnt mean it hasn't been tuned and changed by a prop repair company. If the boat wasn't new to you, the previous owner may have wanted a quicker-to-plane time etc etc, or just tweaked the prop on the Training Bank and had to have it made smaller to be balanced.

Sort out the coolant issue - as that is a worry.

I had a coolant issue with a past car, it would loose water, and i thought the worst as it never leaked any on the drive! Answer was: when up to temp \ full coolant pressure, the seal on the water pump would weep - at rest or cold, no leak!

Rob

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2306368&checked_boats=2306368&ybw=&units=Meters

Edited by Jw2000uk

A bit of slime could easily knock 2 kts off your speed.

About 40 years ago the we were looking at ways of reducing the drag of warships, to gain speed for less fuel.

We fitted nozzles at the bow and injected all sorts of "slime" etc. to make the hull more slippery. It didn't work, most resulted in a loss of speed or increased fuel consumption.

Sorry I had presumed from earlier in the thread that the hull was clean. Slime will easily take speed down

and in 4 months you will gain a lot of slime.

I see this all the time at work, and our racing yachts would not go more than about two weeks between hull cleans.

Its only been a couple of months since Alfresco was last cleaned by a diver and she is already slowing down. Yesterday we cruised at 18 where in that weather at 2500 we normally get 20.

Charlie