Codling catch in Sea Angling News

Rob

This is going to be contentious!

There is a scientific body of thought that it is the mature fish that shoud be returned and the small fry kept for the pot!

The taking of a few tiddlers is more than offset by the Millions of millions of eggs released by a 20lb cod.

The DNA is also "improved" by the "survival of the fittest" scenario.

However, the problem as always, is how to police it.

There is a scientific body of thought that it is the mature fish that shoud be returned and the small fry kept for the pot!

The taking of a few tiddlers is more than offset by the Millions of millions of eggs released by a 20lb cod.

Don't Eat Meeeeeee weep.gifweep.gifweep.gifweep.gifweep.gif

Jim biggrin.gif

Same with the Bass MLS ... but realistically I think that there should ..

.... be a MIN and a MAX size for Bass ( we need the smaller fish growing on to become 10 lb plus)

....moderation exercised in the retention of any multiple catches

Problem, as with all these ideas, is policing / enforcing the rules ...

Thankfully our Club seems to self police .... wish the rest of the fishing world was the same

Just my opinion ....

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by pirky

I am sure that works if managed! But this isn't managed, if there was an upper size limit then im sure it would be great!

Just noticed that we have a new category for number of entries, Tarpon Tamer. Only noticed because I caught it out of the corner of my eye and thought it said something else. I thought to myself, "peculiar".

Terry.

I sort of agree with everyone! However I don't think any crime has been commited here.

Obviously most of us are happy to take a decent Cod or a handfull of whiting in the Solent.

But if I went on a paid charter trip off Essex where the Cod are smaller (actually I did just that as a marine bio student studying the feeding habits of the Cod family), and caught 3 x 2-3 lb Cod for my efforts, I would be totally OK with that. Who wants to go home with nothing to show for a winter day out at sea?

They don't necessarily have the luxury of the fishing we have, and if they could not keep anything for the pot they probably would not be that keen to go again. Skippers have to earn their keep. We surely want to encourage anglers to care for the fisheries, which they won't do if they don't go fishing.

What they catch / caught that day (indeed what any of us catch / keep) is infinitessimal compared with the daily bye catch and discards from trawlers.

By the way, the most interesting catch I had on my student trip (which I persuaded the college to pay for in the interests of my research) was a Cod containing a large slab of cheese flanked by 2 slices of compacted bread.

The skipper explained that many of the Cod feed on food discarded by the parked up ships waiting to proceed up the Thames Estuary.

Good luck all for the coming season, which appears to be nearly upon us.

Clive