project ... replacing floor.

Graham Nash

At the risk of boring the waders off you i think i'm pretty nearly there!

The dash and electronics are all in and the cabin is complete

user posted image

user posted image

If you look at the first page of this thread you will see the state of the floor when I got her .... this is her now (The fuel tank is temporary while I decide how (or if) it's best to utilise the 2 huge built in tanks)

user posted image

She's being low loaded down to Rockley on Tuesday for the fitting of the engine then with a tiny bit of luck we should be able to do a few trials next weekend smile.gif

can anyone explain what is the difference between ribs & stringers?

The bits that are rotten in mine are ribs ....... I think blink.gifblink.gif

This picture is a "BEFORE" ... the big boxes are covering inspection/storage holes into the hull.

user posted image

Once I removed them and their supports I noticed the floor was spongy so i started prodding with a screwdriver and ended up with this ohmy.gif so far unsure.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Im going to remove the whole floor and replace all of those ribs/stringers ..... I'm just hoping the transom is ok coz its gonna have a 115hp Suzuki bolted to it blink.gif

user posted image

Nuff said

She is yours Graham .... an ur gonna love her !!

Well done mate ..... loads of work and plenty of resolve .... I hope she does the job for you and you have many happy and safe hours on her !!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by pirky

Thanks for the comments lads. To be honest, I'm pleased with how shes looking but disappointed with the quality of my work.

I'm no chippy! I'm no painter! and i'm certainly not a fibreglasser! But as my mates that were very keen on helping have been nowhere to be seen during the rebuild it has been all me (apart from a couple of days where one mate was about). Some of it has been in the freezing cold and rain when i really should have stopped and waited for better weather but as it was such a slow job i knew i needed to crack on with it.

I have justified it to myself with the excuse that this is a FISHING boat. It looks like a FISHING boat, the finish is good enough for a FISHING boat and if it gives me as much luck as my old one did then I will be a very happy fisherman.

Am looking forward to seeing her off my back yard so I can get my parking spaces back tho!

Edited by Graham Nash

• 1 year later...

Right .... so after 6 months of sitting in Rockley (filling up with water) and a year in my back yard Im looking at doing a bit more (but a bit better this time :-). Ive bought a big marquee and have built it over my boat to keep out the worst of the weather

marquee_zps7935168a.jpg

I'm now considering removing the rear cabin bulkhead (although the jury is out on that at the moment), ive removed the internal fuel tanks and will be building seating or bait preparation areas in their place. 

As I have not used under the deck since fitting it, I'm considering filling it with water resistant expanding foam .... and enclosing it completely. This in my tiny mind makes it almost unsinkable, if the buoyancy is greater than the weight of the boat??? 

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__2_Part_Polyurethane_Foam_Liquid_415.html

Unless of course, you know different :-) 

Instead of foam, I heard of people filling the space with plastic balls (type used in childrens play pits). Can easily be removed if needed.

This type of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/330910582325?lpid=83&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83&ff19=0

Yep, a few thousand balls is the answer!!

The foam needs to be hydrophobic but I guess you also need not to restrict it as it might not hold enough bubbles/air.

Also, foam is permanent and potentially messy, the balls are simple!

Rob

Hi Graham,

Should be simple to work out...total weight of boat, engine, gear, crew etc e.g. 2,000 kg will displace 2,000 kg of seawater when floating.

Positive buoyancy needed = 2,001 kg (or more) to be unsinkable.

I litre of buoyancy of fresh air displaces 1kg of water (ok I know seawater is 3.4% more buoyant).

So...for the example above you'll need 2,001 litres of buoyancy adding (or more) - Imagine 2 cubes, a metre on all edges....

That's an awful lot of balls, milk bottle cartons or foam..especially remembering the gaps between the balls etc can still flood.

So...two things needed...

1) Calculation of total weight of boat and gear and crew (suggest weighbridge needed?).

2) Exact measurement of the available space for buoyancy (suggest fill the void  with water, pump out, and measure/weigh).

If you don't have the volume available, and can't add it, then even adding 90% of the buoyancy needed means it will still sink if holed...and you might struggle harder to repair any leak at sea.

This simple calculation is why a dinghy or liferaft makes more sense than adding buoyancy for most small boats...or always fishing with a buddy boat near enough to help.

Mike

Mike .... based on a deck of 6ft X 16ft including the cabin with a maximum hull depth at the middle of 18 inches and a minimum depth of 9 inches at the sides (giving an average depth of around 1ft), my very rough calculation is that I have around 96 cubic ft of hull (maybe a little less so lets say i'm nearly 30% out and theres only 70 cubic ft) . Using the stuff above this would give around 1750kg of buoyancy @ 25kg per cubic ft. I believe this would possibly be enough but in all honesty have no desire to make it completely unsinkable, but my thoughts were (and remember i'm an aerial man, not a boat builder) presently if i had a hole in the hull, water would rush in and fill the 70 cubic ft making me sink in no time. If there was foam completely filling the hull, basically it would be a solid foam "lump" and there would be nowhere for the water to go?? This is why im not really looking at the balls and bottles route.

Too simple??. 

My Shetland (and many other Shetlands!) has a foam-filled hull.

On the plus side- it's technically 'unsinkable'.

On the down side- many have problems with water in the foam (mine doesn't).

It may be only foam, but the foam adds a lot of weight when it's on dry land/trailer.

Once it is in, you still need to make sure there are no holes in the floor for water to get to the foam.

If you are putting it in make sure it's truly closed-cell foam. Closed-cell doesn't absorb as much water as open-cell (it can still absorb a bit)

Once the foam gets wet, it can be a bugger (technical term) to dry out.

On mine I cut a couple of holes in the floor and fitted water-tight hatches so that I can check to see if the foam is still dry.

My boat is a dory style Steve, the deck is about an inch above the water line and stability is about as good as I would expect from a boat of this size, the only weight is beneath the deck apart from the batteries and fuel tanks (which I prefer to be above the deck). I was only really thinking of fitting the foam to PREVENT water entering in the event of a hole.

If its pointless then I will save my money, but i'm open to opinions.  

A life raft would take up most of my available fishing space  :(

Balls under a sealed deck would be my choice, they take up a lot of the available space sonif the hull is holed limitsvthe space for sea water.

The marines use this approach on their small landing craft, bullets can break the seal and a few balls but the boat stays semi buoyant (gets to beach before sinks)

Negligable addition to the overall weight.

My old dory had foam, it became waterlogged and had to be removed. It was hell of a job , but was worth doing because of the weight removed from a planning boat.

The same would apply to removing the bulkhead, a lot of weight would go, just remember it is a huge part of the boats strength and stiffness, so some of that has to be put back in.

Good idea to cover the boat up Graham she looks good in her tent.

removing the bulkhead, a lot of weight would go, just remember it is a huge part of the boats strength and stiffness, so some of that has to be put back in.

This was a concern of mine Charlie. 

• 7 months later...

well I was full of all these ideas but work, family, dogs and weather put paid to most of them. The bulkhead has remained, a lick of paint and a bit of juggling where the old fuel tanks were and we are ready for the water. ..... 

011_zps1718e02c.jpg

008_zps7fbbe73b.jpg

003_zps3a97e276.jpg

Unfortunately, my mate (crew) is moving out of the area in a couple of weeks so it'll probably sit in my yard for the rest of the year growing moss again!