project ... replacing floor.

Graham Nash

well .... my idea of cutting some hatches into the floor of my project has uncovered some pretty grotty stringers. So the floor is coming up ohmy.gif and 2 new stringers are to be fitted.

Now i'm no chippy so i am thinking of making a template out of hardboard (or cardboard) first then cutting round the template onto some nice marine ply and fibreglassing them into place.

2 questions spring to mind ....

1: can I put these stringers close to the original ones, thereby I dont need to cut all the fibreglass around the old ones (or do they have to go exactly where they are for structural calculations etc).

2: Do i make a small hole in the bottom of each one so any water ingress into one can travel through to the stern so one bilge pump will suffice (the obvious problem here would be if a hole occured in one "chamber" the water would fill the boat up through those same holes) or do I put a bilge pump in each, thus making each chamber completely seperate from each other?

I'm basically starting from scratch here so any modifications will be easier done now rather than later.

Hi Graham

First off I would use foam as the stringers capped off with wood, these are lighter and when glassed in will be just as strong.

I would glass in a plastic tube for any liquid to drain from each compartment. Again when glassed in this will stop any ingress, 22mm pipe should do ok.

If you are having empty cavities with no access I would fill them with plastic play balls which will add boyancy should the worse happen.

I personally would remove all the old stringers and replace them in the same place but it depends on the state of the existing grp.

I assume you will be making the deck a sealed floor.

Have fun unsure.gif

Dave

cool.gif

can anyone explain what is the difference between ribs & stringers?

The bits that are rotten in mine are ribs ....... I think blink.gifblink.gif

This picture is a "BEFORE" ... the big boxes are covering inspection/storage holes into the hull.

user posted image

Once I removed them and their supports I noticed the floor was spongy so i started prodding with a screwdriver and ended up with this ohmy.gif so far unsure.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Im going to remove the whole floor and replace all of those ribs/stringers ..... I'm just hoping the transom is ok coz its gonna have a 115hp Suzuki bolted to it blink.gif

user posted image

Edited by Graham Nash

Flippin heck Graham,you've got you're work cut out! Save all these photos as people won't believe it's the same boat when you're finished.........new name possibly...........

Second Chance?.......Reserected...?....looking at the pics think second one

Nige

Hi Graham

Looks like you have your work cut out.

Stringers

Stringer, longitudinal internal member in boat and shipbuilding that adds stiffness and may facilitate the mounting of further internal structures

This link may be useful to you

http://westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publ...Maintenance.pdf

Also seen a great idea is to use inverted gutter pipe along the keel to allow fluids to transfer from one end to the other. It would of course need to be glassed in.

Dave

cool.gif

I worked at Sunseekers for 11 years, in the days that saw me frowned upon for being a shop fitter instead of a boatbuilder, ( you wouldn't find a boatbuilder there now!) and a good chum of mine, Spocky, a proper boatbuilder, is now a freelance boat repairer under his proper name Graham Banyard. He used to groan at some of the shortcuts taken by Sunseekers and would tell me the correct way things should be done. I know he advertises in some of the tide table books. I'm sure he'd be interested in taking on some of the work , and Im happy to do day work for you when you get going on the refit.

Exciting times ahead Graham

Lofty

Ps. The Sunseekers had foam stringers glassed in with the tubes for drainage in the Chines as the previous post said

Lofty ..... you star biggrin.gif

I would certainly be interested in talking with your mate and I know your handy work is first class. Maybe we need to have a chat too wink.gif

I've just googled Graham Banyard and it brings up washing machine repairs & someone in Harrowgate. I'll have a look in a tide table book if I can find one.

Edited by Graham Nash

Ha Ha Johnny ... dunno about enthusiasm, more like stuck with more work than I thought biggrin.gif

Fortunately I have room in my yard so its not costing anything for the storage, I have another boat so theres no real rush and after Christmas my work generally dies so I should have plenty of time (although without work, the money dries up quickly).

I have visitors today so weather permitting I will cut the whole floor out tomorrow so I can get to everything.

I will keep posting smile.gif

So after a day of removing the existing floor and cutting back all the rotten wood it doesnt look as bad as it first seemed (still pretty grotty, but I think do-able)

There are/were 6 ribs, one had already been completely removed, 3 are fine and the 2 middle ones are rotten. They are in 3 sections and the middle section of each is gone, the outside sections are perfectly solid. So it looks like I could just replace the middle bits but Im going to do that AND add a complete rib alongside the existing one bolting it into the solid bits. I will then glass it all together and it should be twice as solid as the original.

The existing outboard engine fixings were rusted solid so after much pulling, pushing, prizing, hammering and every other type of effort we ended up cutting a bit of the transom top away to get the engine off. This revealed a very solid transom top smile.gif PHEW!!.

I then checked the existing engine well, which was full of expanding foam, sealant, rubber and just about everything else that could trap water and found it was soaking wet with lots of rot so that too was cut away. This revealed the inside of the transom so I took the opportunity to cut some of the internal glass away to check the integrity of the transom wood and once again it looked good smile.gif

So after a day of cutting out rotten wood i think i'm happy blink.gif

the blue foam used for cores in glassed-over structures is usually blue polystyrene, closed-cell foam.

closed-cell foam cannot waterlog, in the event of glassfibre skin failure, and blue foam has a fairly high density (small bubbles) giving greater strength to the core

John

This was good old fashioned yellow and orange domestic expanding foam John. It was everywhere on the back end filling up the engine well.

Someone had cut holes into the well to bolt the engine on and they had filled their holes with mastic then filled the whole lot with this expanding foam.

It had to come out because it looked terrible and was trapping an awful lot of water which was rotting everything.

I think we may have this closed cell foam inside the stringers so i'm leaving them alone wink.gif

Graham.

• 1 month later...

Right ..... after many happy dry.gif hours working in the freezing cold and wind I have made some progress.

The rotten floor and ribs were completely cut away and the ribs were reinforced as required. A new floor of 18mm ply was cut and fitted then 2 layers of fibreglass was put on the whole floor, tying it all into the hull. This bit was done in freezing conditions and unfortunately freezing conditions, fibreglass and inexperience ended up taking MUCH longer than anticipated and the end result was not as good as I had hoped but it is water tight and functional so its better than when I started smile.gif .

The electrics has been started in the cabin but I am visiting Little Sal tomorrow to remove all of her electronics and I will carry on with that in the coming weeks.

The floor was painted again in freezing conditions .... so cold it took 5 days for it to dry!!!!

A phone call to Charlie during the week put me in touch with " a friend of the club" who gave me some discount on the required paints and a hatch (that I bought as a sample). Thanks for that Charlie.

Today we have fitted the hatch, painted the cabin inside and outside, painted the hull and most of the woodwork.

The dashboard and the stern is the only bit that still needs structural work as we had to cut some of it away today to get to the 2 fuel tanks. So its just the engine well and the fuel tanks, remainder of the electrics and fit the engine and steering and then we ARE OFF smile.gifsmile.gif

user posted image

user posted image