Swanage Lifeboat

Mike Fox

My understanding was that the chain travels through the ring and counter balances the anchor preventing it pulling the chain back through and sinking back to the bottom.

exactly

and that is the reason to ensure a good length and weight of chain is used. That is also the reason we pull the warp in steadily as we drift or motor back towards the buoy.

if you pull hard and keep the warp and chain tight the weight of the anchor may overcome the weight of the chain and it will start to drop again.

Dan

the method works even if the anchor has to be tripped,

We always rig ours to trip

Charlie biggrin.gif

My humble 2p ....

The link shows 2nd pair of hands at back of the craft handling the rode ..... As I always use a lazy line I can pull my boat onto the right side of the Alderney buoy to start with ....and.....

when on my own .....I have used a simple short loop of rope around the rode and onto the cleat at the back half of the boat to hold the rode clear of the water....theory is....if above the prop it stands less chance of getting fouled on the prop......it assumes that the back cleat is strong enough to trip the anchor in the event of a snagged anchor. The loop also has the advantage of being reasonably easy to dispatch if there is a problem........

I don't do this all the time.... dead calm and I do it solo....

I hasten to add that I have only done this in "reasonable" conditions and had no problems so far .....but I am sure the routine is not infallible.

Limited experience but it gives me confidence to go solo !!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

That link has information that looks spot on

Can it be put on the home page for all to access easily in the future ?

Charlie

A thread could be started with the link included under the safety section and pinned

Martin

Martin

I realised I started the Anchor thread in the wrong section, could you please move it to the Safety section.

Thanks

Dave

cool.gif

That link has information that looks spot on

Can it be put on the home page for all to access easily in the future ?

Charlie

A thread could be started with the link included under the safety section and pinned

Martin

Martin

I realised I started the Anchor thread in the wrong section, could you please move it to the Safety section.

Thanks

Dave

cool.gif

Done

Martin

Guys, if you are using the alderney method, AND a tripped anchor, surely the chain and rope will slide back down?

We dont trip the anchor, and once buoyed, the shaft of the bruce anchor keeps it in the ring below the buoy.

Just curious! laugh.gif

Dan

Dan,

If you do not trip the anchor and fish Christchurch Ledge, expect to not be seeing it after a few trips smile.gif