Swanage Lifeboat

Mike Fox

Easy mistake to make, and really to sort out.

But I expect that it was a lesson learnt the hard way.

Goes to show that a practical demonstration of how to use an Alderney ring is probably the best way to learn.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Partly agree Charlie, but I am wondering how I would do the Alderney ring method on my own??

Also once the ring was caught between the prop and the cavitation plate I can imagine that it needed to be pulled "seaward" to release it.

I have often thought about popping out alone on my boat, but it is the anchoring and retreaval that concerns and stops me.

It just goes to show that we should all be ready just in case something untoward happens. That boat would not of taken much more tide up the stern before going under, I wonder did the chap have a suitable knife at the ready? always easy with hind site but its also good to learn from others experience instead of our own

Well done to SLB I just hope I never need their assistance but it's good to know they are there just in case! now where's me small change for the collection box smile.gif

Martin

Partly agree Charlie, but I am wondering how I would do the Alderney ring method on my own??

it is perfectly poss to do it on your own, just make sure that everything is in place , that you plan the stages and dont be afraid to abort and start again if the boat handling bit goes wrong. one thing i have found helps is to get the bouy on its stop well in front of the boat before you start the manoever to pick the rope up and hang it off the back

greg

as you say Greg, it's about planning - for the normal and also the possible (not probable) problems. It's easy to argue that this planning starts before you put the anchor down! Martin includes a good example.

outboards, and to a degree outdrives, can give an illusion regarding the accessibility of the lower drive and propeller.

in practice everyone should have a pre-set drill for accessing the lower drive and prop - in this example if the security of the boat is in doubt just cut the rode. In practice the rode could have been cut at the bow very easily and would have worked it's way off the lower unit in a relatively short time. Even better would be a cut where it's under tension just clearing the drive but huge care should be taken when reaching over the side, stern etc and, on balance, the RNLI (or coastguard) won't countenance leaving the cockpit when single handed - so get a sharp knife lashed to a pole and stow it somewhere.

The angles are against you for using a boathook here in any tide, and most wind conditions.

On Phaeton I have practiced using the ladder such that I can easily reach the lowest point of the drive skeg. This practice started with scrubbing the drive whilst normally anchored in a tide, then trying it anchored by the stern cleat. This all came about after ending up in this situation courtesy of a pot line on the drive off dancing ledge one evening on my own. I called the CG before clearing it, and was only 'cleared' once I was back in the harbour, but decided the process needed practicing. The CG are most adamant that you don't go in the water to clear such things!!!

Just remember that the depending on the wind and tide the buoy on the rode can get stuck / have a preference to sit on one side of the boat. If the is the "wrong" side for your retrieval, I.e. You have your anchor bucket and gunnel protection on the other side. Don't try and pull it from the wrong way!

Just pull it from the safest side, the turn the boat once the anchor in under the buoy and drift back and collect the rope on the preferred side.

Rob

the RNLI (or coastguard) won't countenance leaving the cockpit when single handed - so get a sharp knife lashed to a pole and stow it somewhere.

eastbourne rnli had a shout this week where a yacht picked up a rope around the prop the single handed chap went over the side to clear it, that failed, to have another go he launched his inflatable with no means of propulsion and lost touch with the yacht, fortunatly all this was within sight of the rnli station, all ended well with a cold yachtie in the showers at sovereign, me i have a rule i dont leave the cabin when motoring.

and i do have a sharp knife to hand in the cockpit

Just remember that the depending on the wind and tide the buoy on the rode can get stuck / have a preference to sit on one side of the boat. If the is the "wrong" side for your retrieval, I.e. You have your anchor bucket and gunnel protection on the other side. Don't try and pull it from the wrong way!

Just pull it from the safest side, the turn the boat once the anchor in under the buoy and drift back and collect the rope on the preferred side.

Rob

is that not the reason to get the bouy on a stop and a long way out in front of the boat before you start moving anything?

greg

I find it useful to reverse slowly on full lock at the start of the manoeuvre to swing the stern around slightly so the buoy is visible from side of boat then it is easy to manoeuvre around the buoy and rope.

http://www.stainless-steve.co.uk/Boatbits/.../tri-ring-l.jpg

Some of my mates like to use these,that way you can see the buoy all the time.

Or like Paul reverse so able to see buoy and the power past on prefered side. Have Rope at an angle away from side of boat,watch buoy it will dip under water when up to anchor.Set boat uptide if not windy and tide is not strong and pick up rope with boat hook,the tide will take you gentely to your anchor while you retrieve the rope.In stronger winds and tides that's when you have to use judgement to best position of boat to buoy I.e you don't really want you're back to an unsettled sea when retrieving the rope.

A good call to take Dave out to build you're confidence.

I hope to be out Monday if you want a trip and I'll let you do all the anchor work give me a bell if interested

Nige

Thanks for the offer Nigel & I would have loved to take you up on it but I have arranged for a friend to come down from London to come out for a days fishing. I would have loved to see some of your tactics too, you seem to have got it right this year.

Graham

Weather permitting you are crewing with us for the 48 hr and we will no doubt be anchoring

I will talk you through it as we do it now and as I have done it on both of my previous boats.

It can be done safely single handed, its important to know where the anchor buoy is at all times. but we can all get it wrong.

My first attempt at anchoring speedy rock in 2008 we did exactly as the boat in the video did.

But with more hands available, we took the weight off of the line by tying off to a bollard, then un jammed the alderney ring.

Nervous moments indeed in that area, with all of the rocks about.

If single handed the bait knife may have been used, but only if I was 100% sure I could free the prop by cutting the warp.

Drifting with no engine would have been a bad option in that area. but maybe a better option than swamping on the anchor warp due to waves coming onboard.

Good call to get the RNLI out in this case

Charlie

Charlie i look forward to gaining some of your experience in skippering and fishing in a couple of weeks time and am praying the wind blows it's self out by then.

On a recent trip around Christchurch Ledge, we were attempting the Alderney retreaval method and the buoy went under but didnt pop up, instead the front of the boat dipped and felt like it was trying to turn back on it's self. It would be fair to say that it was a but-cheek clenching moment ohmy.gif .

Anyway, we ended up turning the boat round and drifting back towards the anchor while retreaving the anchor rope. We then manually lifted the anchor and noticed it had tripped our cable ties (we assume that was US manually trying to free it that had tripped it). I have not attempted the Alderney method since unsure.gif

Yeah I look after my crew wink.gif

With regards to working an Alderney bouy on your own just take your time and think through what you are going to do and don't rush things. If things go wrong abort and start again. Good luck.

Colin

Guys, if you are using the alderney method, AND a tripped anchor, surely the chain and rope will slide back down?

We dont trip the anchor, and once buoyed, the shaft of the bruce anchor keeps it in the ring below the buoy.

Just curious! laugh.gif

Dan