boat insurance

sparky

My Insurance was with mardon Marine / Towergate Marden - up until now they have always been competitive ....................

However, they are refusing to pay anything for the loss of my boat and the excess is greater than the replacement cost of the outboard.

I am attempting to negotiate - but not hopefull!

So if anyone is going to renew with these B*****ds - don't!

Neal

My Insurance was with mardon Marine / Towergate Marden - up until now they have always been competitive ....................

However, they are refusing to pay anything for the loss of my boat and the excess is greater than the replacement cost of the outboard.

Neal

I am with them Neil. Thanks for the heads up, I will shop around come the time (and hope I dont need them in the mean time).

Neal

I am with them Neil. Thanks for the heads up, I will shop around come the time (and hope I dont need them in the mean time).

I've been with them 16 years, and through 2 significant claims.

I'm still with them.

I would always recommend 'looking around' from time to time, but that's another issue

I have been with them since 1995 - or at least the Company they bought.

The reason for not paying anything was that the trailer did not have a wheel clamp.

It did not have a wheel clamp because the owner of the yard where it was stored needed to move it regularly to bring other things in for storage. It was in an area accessed by a number of different people who may have had to move the boat.

The Boat had been stored there over the last 15 winters OK - It was out of site of the road - behind a building and surrounded by hedges. You had to get through 2 gates - one of which had a combination padlock - and the adjacent field and road leading to the buildings was covered by cctv.

If I had put a wheel clamp on the trailer - I think it would have been a fairly simple task to cut it off unnoticed and with plenty of time to do it anyway.

I think they are being unreasonable in refusing to pay anything at all - I have suggested they make a reasonable offer at the very least - as I am aware that whilst reasonable security precautions were taken (by me) the Policy does state that a wheel clamp is required.

Neal

I suspected it might be this -

They are definitely not the only insurer (well they are acting as claims manager here) that is, in my view, overly black and white with regard to this issue.

In one sense I can understand it's origin - most trailer craft are kept in relatively open environments where the trailer lock is the primary deterrent. However, increasingly clauses have been introduced around 'secure fenced areas' as well.

I did have a discussion with 'them' in their previous life because I have always kept my boats in 'secure' marina environments (except when towed away for trips) whether on their own trailer or not and (I suppose in fairness to them) they were as adamant then as they appear to be now - the discussion got as far as the relative benefits of multiple keys and my responsibilities for other parties correctly re-installing the clamp when moving the boat!

People have found the same issue regarding outboards and their locks - whether 3hp on a tender when visiting a port or pairs of 250's that leave everyone scratching their heads as to how they were removed/moved at all.

The crux of any claim would have to revolve around whether you put on the renew papers that there was a trailer lock fitted (if you had said no then and it had been accepted you have a good case regardless of any policy wording) or your ability to prove that the absence of a trailer lock was not a contributory (material) factor in the loss, either the scale of the loss or it's happening at all. The latter is a very difficult when it didn't have one and a total loss has occurred.

Hi Neal, what yard was your boat stored in? Reason for me asking Is that if your boat was in the care, custody and control of the boatyard then the boatyard should have a contingency business insurance! The boat insurance should have a yacht yard indemnity extension under it that should pick up an all risks type cover for third party boats in their custody or control! I am starting up a marine insurance brokerage this Tuesday so I will be able to help you all out with your boat insurance etc! I know the Market inside out so will gives club rates if required! Already spoken to webhost and going to try to get something on the home page with my company info giving discounted rates through the link!!!!