Wishin update

niggle

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mate

with your contacts and skills I am sure it will not be a long job

I believe from Craig that this is a known fault/problem any chance of some help from the industry?

I am sure that considering the time of year your down time will be short, but if you need a trip let me know.

best regards

Charlie biggrin.gif

I believe from that this is a known fault/problem any chance of some help from the industry?

I find it very worrying that all of these "known" faults are still occurring.

Surely these manufacturers should be doing something to sort out these "known" faults.

Nigel, I am sure you will be back out there very soon (although I seem to remember you saying you are out on Shogun soon anyway). At least some one might get a chance to get close to you on the species hunt in the mean time.

The only 'known' fault I know of from looking at buying a 1.7dti Mercruiser a few years ago was caused by the heat due to the revs the little engine has to run to produce the HP - blown pistons etc...

Hopefully you'll have a quicker easier fix being 'in the know'

Good luck!

Stripped engine today number three piston cracked across the crown,no other damage in fact it's as new internally.

Visually it would appear it is heat related,on another forum it was suggested,if possible to retro fit an intercooler to cool the inlet air.Which makes a lot of sense seeing as all modern diesels have them for the same reason.I shall be looking into this with extra cooling fans and venting to the engine cover.

Any thoughts on this possible long term cure.

P.S. Will have to get boat mended soon or the wifes going to get use to me being home and keep dragging me out shopping blink.giflaugh.gif

Will an intercooler help engine temps?

I thought they improved performance by increasing air (as cooler air is denser) to the turbo (and in turn to the cylinders for a bigger bang), but this will increase exhaust (block/engine bay) temps?

If it was a car would you look to improve the exhaust (heat-wrap or even ceramic treatment of the exhaust manifold) and/or have a bigger radiator and improve the airflow past it and/or bigger (Kenlowe?) fan)... but you're the expert Nige!

Charlie if I found I had more power I could adjust the boost of turbo,but the main reason is to have cooler air in the cylinders as the engine is so very,very compact

Just an idea and a big thanks Charlie for your imput......keep it coming

I believe that the intercooler is as others suggest there to cool the air into the engine to boost power by allowing more fuel/air mixture to be burnt.

So not sure that a retro fit and more power would stop this problem.

was the engine known to run hot? if so make sure that the engine compartment ambient temp is correct, possibly fitting a fan to the engine compartment would help.

Volvo instructions state the amount of air flow required to the turbo on my engine and my surveyor sugested ducting air to the turbo area to keep it cool, in my case that is done as the air boxes are adjacent to the air intake filter.

I am sure if you find a solution Craig would be interested.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Been giving this a lot of thought on advice given ,and both Charlies are right,more engine cooling of the air around the engine as it is a very confined area.Been thinking about using a 4 inch bilge blower to actually blow outside air into the general direction of the turbo.And although it has one to take fumes/ heat away,fit a second to help.Possibly fitting at least one other vent to ensure a good airflow so inlet air temp is greatly lowered,as it must of previously been running on very hot engine bay air!!!! dry.gif

Thanks guys

I am just off out,

but perhaps you could give me a call tomorrow to discuss

be aware that cutting extra vent holes in the engine box will really increase the engine noise inside the boat.

a problem I lived with on my last boat, but she never did the long trips you do.

if you can feed in air through a blower and let it vent overboard it should be a better option, but you need to think of sound deadening as well as reducing the air temp inside the engine box.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Nige,

Yet again, I'm reading all the high maintenance costs and issues that you , Charlie and others are or have had with these various inboard engines. weep.gif I know it comes with the territory.......which still makes me have the opinion that outboards is possibly the way forward....although I am fully aware that it is not an easy conversion....but an outboard transom bracket in aluminium or fibreglass is a standard conversion over the Pond.

Time will tell for me...but for leisure use....outboards come with a 5 or 6 year warranty....which I have found have always been honoured providing you keep to the maintenance regime, and now I don't think the fuel differential is the factor that it was a few years ago.

Tomo

and now I don't think the fuel differential is the factor that it was a few years ago.

I am not sure about the fuel comparison Tomo as I seem to use MUCH more than the diesel boys.

But having seen the problems people have had with their relatively new inboards I dont think I would change.

It sure is a much more compelling argument nowadays.

The two main factors for me against outboards are how they effect the COG and balance of a boat (biggish, heavyish diesel engines mounted lower down and more forward than outboards) and the availablity and voilitile nature of petrol. Many marinas dont have petrol easy to acess as deisel is - and I'm a little bit nervous about having 300 litres of petrol under the deck!

For boats under 20' that get used for shorter range trips the outboard always wins for me, but as you start to get into the bigger longer range, heavier boats diesels all the way.

Another factor that is an interesting discussion is how charter boats manage to run up hundreds of thousands of hours on engines with little issue - yet us as relively infrequent users and with engines at the cheaper more basic end of the range seem to really suffer.

Another factor that is an interesting discussion is how charter boats manage to run up hundreds of thousands of hours on engines with little issue - yet us as relively infrequent users and with engines at the cheaper more basic end of the range seem to really suffer.

Could it be that we are always "in a hurry" Adam?

Maybe we cruise too near to the maximum speed too often? I know I probably do.

Could it be that we are always "in a hurry" Adam?

Maybe we cruise too near to the maximum speed too often? I know I probably do.

they use their engines at max rating more than we do - generally pushing heavier loads.

it is true that the leisure sector tends to utilise higher revving diesels with significantly increased loads with the acceleration of the relatively heavy pistons (for 20:1 compression!) etc

it's also true that they do have problems - but do not tend to make anything of them in public!

however, the biggest single factor has to be the regular running.

I think it's all about made for the job.....ie a car will do about 200k miles a big truck will do 2million miles!

I've done 370hrs in 2yrs about 3.7hrs per week,a busy charter would do that in say 10months

Outboard brackets can be fixed or hydraulic in their own right - something to consider?:

user posted image

Inedently, the sports boat I was on last weekend, had a engine bay fume extracation system that ran before starting the egine and whilst running.