Summary of Poole Harbour fish regulations

I think the notch is put there by fisheries officers to allow a proportion of the population to grow to a size well above the minimum take size! The notch does grow out I think, then making them BIG and take-able.

This poster would do well being put up in the new notice board on the Quay.

Perhaps Chris will see this thread if not I will bring it up at the next PDSAA meetig

I will also find out about acess to keys.

Dave

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy

Mike _ i guess it is how you interpret "keeping", i would suggest that having a couple of small maccy in a bait well that are alive and you intend to use as livebait is not keeping them. Just holding them with the intention to put them back!

Mike _ i guess it is how you interpret "keeping", i would suggest that having a couple of small maccy in a bait well that are alive and you intend to use as livebait is not keeping them. Just holding them with the intention to put them back!

I think if all are allowed to translate the rules any way they like

How can we stand firm against things like discards, minimum sizes etc

If there is a legal minimum size for any species then surely we should support that, not just ignore it and joke about it.

Charlie

Regarding the >12 metre / >6 miles rule in the Southern district, I remember this causing a big stink in Weymouth a couple of years back, because most of the new generation "monster Cats" were over 12m. The official line then seemed to be "nobody asked the skippers to buy big boats and the (bye)law is the law".

Then it all went quiet and this is the first time I've seen reference to it since. I know some of the big craft are fishing well inside 6 miles (I've seen them!) so either there is a blind eye being turned on enforcement or the byelaw has been changed. But this new poster would seem to suggest not...

Anyway, as if I should worry!

Duncan

Duncan I believe there is a court case re one of the larger cats.  I don't know if it's been judged yet or if it's still ongoing.

That said I don't think many of the boats are over 12m? but do stand to be corrected.

Martin

Yes, It's Lyle Stanford who's the skipper of Supanova (a small cat).

He was 'caught' while skippering Pat Carling's Channel Chiefton a few years ago. I think the judgement hasn't been made yet.

Edited by Newboy

Also, I didn't know that 12m recreational craft weren't allowed to fish within 6 miles of shore.

I assume this means that just leisure/casual fishing off of any boat over 12m whilst cruising within 6Nm of the shore is forbidden. Not many skippers are going to know that. Not been very well publicised.

He was 'caught' while skippering Pat Carling's Channel Chiefton a few years ago. I think the judgement hasn't been made yet.

It is ridiculouse (to me and all small boat anglers) that Charter boats with recreational anglers on board should incur the same restrictions as the 12m trawler fleet!

He went to Court last month and the verdict is supposed to follow in due course!

Regular updates and information regarding this case are posted on the Deepsea website.

A question was raised to our "guest" last meeting - but he was unwilling to comment as the Court Case was still pending and he / they are responsible for enforcing the bye-law.

Lets hope common sense prevails........however the Law and common sense are rarely applied together.

Neal

I wonder how many 12m+ raggies towing a set of feathers or a mackerel spinner have been pulled over? my guess....... none but the same rules are supposed to apply.

I think the byelaw concerned is not being enforced in the spirit it was intended but hey were just anglers what do we know

Martin

I wonder how many 12m+ raggies towing a set of feathers or a mackerel spinner have been pulled over? my guess....... none but the same rules are supposed to apply.

I think the byelaw concerned is not being enforced in the spirit it was intended but hey were just anglers what do we know

Martin

I stand to be corrected but my understanding is that this by law extends only to skippers who are fishing commercially, ie as fishermen or as charter skippers.

Leisure craft, including yachts and fishing boats, are outside of the loop.

So should have applied to the MCA vessel that nearly ran in to me whilst drifting a wreck on end of the shambles as that was certainly over 12metres and the two guys were fishing off the back of it ....I should have thought to have brought that up at the time !

Chris

Read the above poster especially the bit about vessel restrictions. It clearly states the bye law applies to all vessels over 12m including commercial and recreational craft within the 6 miles SSFC area

Martin

Hmm, you're right, you learn something everyday

Like you say, tho' difficult to enforce on yachts or powerboats.

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I was asked for clarification about fishing in Poole harbour, during my investigations discovered that apart from the minimum size rule, you are allowed to catch Bass from the shore in the nursery area, which I did not know.

The restriction applys to fishing from a boat.

I also admit I was not aware that it is illegal to fish from any boat, however it is propelled, using sand-eels as bait to attract any sea fish.

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone was not clear about the rules like me.

Dave

unsure.gif