Bass Nursery area

all we need to do now is make sure they are posted at all Marina's and slipways around the harbour.

Oh and perhaps on Greenslades front door

I will print a couple off tomorrow and start the ball rolling at work, then maybe get Sam to pop one in to John at Poole Quay Boat Haven

Charlie

It's not very good, it just tells people that there is bass nursery area and where it is.

No mention that it's illegal to catch bass in the nursery area between 30th April and 1st November, from any boat.

Edited by Brian

It's not very good, it just tells people that there is bass nursery area and where it is.

No mention that it's illegal to catch bass in the nursery area between 30th April and 1st November, from any boat.

indeed

add that the use of the darker blue for the deeper channels is also a little confusing because, at first glance, you get the impression that the nursery area is the red over white bits only

finally, and I am afraid a little defeatist, it's simply not enforced at all by anyone - you will see boat after boat fishing (for bass) and taking bass (of all sizes....) as well as the well known semi-commercials...

and don't get me started on the netting

See the Poole Harbour regulation post for further information on when and where plus minimum sizes for other species

Martin

Agreed but if these posters are going to be displayed, they should have all the information on them. i.e. Dates and minimum sizes.

Otherwise a nursery area sounds a productive place to fish!!!!

Edited by Brian

Brian it is not a leaflet. It is the information that was put into this years Poole Harbour guide and is only copied on here for info

Martin

Understood.

My point is, as Charlie suggested it should be displayed at Marinas and sliplays, I felt it was lacking vital information.

Brian it is not a leaflet.  It is the information that was put into this years Poole Harbour guide and is only copied on here for info

Martin

Understood.

My point is, as Charlie suggested it should be displayed at Marinas and sliplays, I felt it was lacking vital information.

Agree 100% Brian

well talk about shooting the messenger. mad.gif

Its the Fisheries officers that should be communicating this, but as discussed after our last meeting they need some help

I believe that we need to get the message over to those that are totally unaware that there even is such a thing as a Bass nursery area.

Charlie

Charlie

I wasn't having a pop at you, I'm just surprised there isn't a proper poster available with all the necessary info.

There should also be some sort of sign along Holes Bay showing the minimum sizes.

As I mentioned a while ago I saw a chap fishing there and he had a pile of bass (probably about 15) on the ground and the biggest was about 12" long.

When I mentioned that they were all under the legal size, he claimed he didn't know there was such a thing.

Knowing the level of concern by club members about bass conservation, what active support is the club giving for this?

For example, if a member was convicted of breaching the nursery area rules, would the club allow their membership to be renewed?

If this (or similar messages) were widely distributed it could potentially be used to demonstrate support for the concept and rules, and extend our credentials as a club interested in conservation and restoration of stocks.

Mike

It was only a few weeks ago that we were trying to decide how to spend some of the clubs funds. I would like to propose that we as a club undertake to design and produce a leaflet/poster with nursery areas and size limits. These would then be distributed to all marinas, tackle shops, chandlers etc. in our areas. The club logo would be prominent and would show that we are serious about conservation and that we are prepared to put our money where our mouth is.

Colin

Knowing the level of concern by club members about bass conservation, what active support is the club giving for this?

For example, if a member was convicted of breaching the nursery area rules, would the club allow their membership to be renewed?

If this (or similar messages) were widely distributed it could potentially be used to demonstrate support for the concept and rules, and extend our credentials as a club interested in conservation and restoration of stocks.

Mike

Mike

That would be covered in our constitution under bringing the club into disrepute.

If a member were proven to be involved in anything against fisheries legislation be that breaches of areas, size limits, selling fish or indeed anything the club deemed to be inappropriate then a committee would be formed to investigate the offence. The formed committee maybe just made up of existing committee members or if deemed necessary of ordinary members that are not connected with either the misdemeanor or the offender. If proven that member could be penalised and that could involve expulsion.

Hope that clarifies your question.

Martin

It was only a few weeks ago that we were trying to decide how to spend some of the clubs funds. I would like to propose that we as a club undertake to design and produce a leaflet/poster with nursery areas and size limits. These would then be distributed to all marinas, tackle shops, chandlers etc. in our areas. The club logo would be prominent and would show that we are serious about conservation and that we are prepared to put our money where our mouth is.

Colin

The offer was made to Neil of SSFC at our last meeting to help with distribution of leaflets and/or maybe contribute to either publication or distribution of posters/signs. That offer is still open and will no doubt be made again.

We (the club) within reason can offer monetary help. Time in designing literature or notices is a different matter. Most of the committee are busy people and give their time willingly to the club but there are limits. Now if we were to get offers of help from the members then maybe more could be done. Any graphic designers out there?

Martin

Colin

The offer was made to Neil of SSFC at our last meeting to help with distribution of leaflets and/or maybe contribute to either publication or distribution of posters/signs. That offer is still open and will no doubt be made again.

We (the club) within reason can offer monetary help. Time in designing literature or notices is a different matter. Most of the committee are busy people and give their time willingly to the club but there are limits. Now if we were to get offers of help from the members then maybe more could be done. Any graphic designers out there?

Martin

Keep up you lot, PDSAA did a deal with the fisheries with the display cabinet on the quay which shows all the info regarding the bass area, its in last months free paper sea angling news, and i did tell you all that all clubs can use it for there comps,newsletter etc at the meeting a couple of months ago. chris h

Colin

Martin

Keep up you lot, PDSAA did a deal with the fisheries with the display cabinet on the quay which shows all the info regarding the bass area, its in last months free paper sea angling news, and i did tell you all that all clubs can use it for there comps,newsletter etc at the meeting a couple of months ago. chris h

Chris we are keeping up and getting access to the display board was spoke about at last months meeting. I think Dave will be approaching you for a key smile.gif

We also spoke about putting notices up at different locations.

BTW

Has my sister spoke to you re DD?