This should be interesting........

duncan

The RYA have condemned plans for a new windfarm off Dorset as being 'poorly' located. Eneco have identified the most suitable place to locate the wind park as being an area of 76 square miles approximately 8.2 miles from Peveril Point in Swanage, 10.2 miles from Bournemouth and 8.4 miles south west of The Needles and the Isle of Wight.

"Eneco's announcement confirms that they have identified their preferred development area within the West of Wight Round 3 Zone. At this stage, however, Eneco has not produced any detailed plans as to how many turbines are proposed or how they might be laid out within this area", commented Caroline Price, RYA Planning and Environmental Advisor.

The RYA met with Eneco last May to discuss concerns about the West of Wight zone, and explained the importance of the area for recreational boating and emphasised how busy this area is for both recreational and commercial vessel traffic.

"Navigation through operational windfarms should not create significant additional risks for recreational boaters, however we are concerned that the preferred development area as confirmed by Eneco is poorly located from a wider navigational perspective" continued Caroline.

Eneco is keen to engage directly with clubs and training centres in the local area and the RYA would therefore encourage interested groups to attend the information days being held by Eneco around the Solent and to register their individual concerns and comments directly with Eneco.

Public information days to hear more about the planning process and the location of the wind park will be held on the following days:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/1572248/

It certainly looks like a big area.

That will definately be of interest to a lot of our Members, anyone know who we could get the co-ordinates of the corners of this area from?

Out of interest I would like to plot that over my waypoint/mark/wrecks plan.

Charlie

Edited by great white

Thanks Dave

They are very good for approximate Lat/longs.

But you seem to have the boxes differant sizes in Lat and long.

sorry mate not meaning to sound critical of what you have done.

I have emailed them requesting the exact positions, but am not holding my breath for a reply.

From the text it seems like it is the central area, that they are now looking at. so if you would like to add those as well it would help.

The larger area is what was offered to them to choose from. I wonder if it will ever get built?

Charlie

Edited by great white

Whilst I am all for appropriate change and development, I have to say I am surprised given the obvious impact on the World Heritage Site (Jurassic Coast) and Needles.

I guess the good news is that it just about guarantees that there will be long calm days in the future (once built and running.........)

OTOH it really really is a huge waste of money when there are plenty of perfectly suited land sights available in the windiest places in the UK

Sorry, but I am a little remiss having not followed this but, although there will be some very good structure, hence refuge for fish - what access / exclusion is foreseen, designed or otherwise legislated for?

having been around a few of these things and seen hundreds on and offshore in holland/belgium it seems that wherever the proposed site is situated the nimbys and scaremongers appear, the area chosen off our coast would seem to be the least intrusive on most counts , its out of the way of most of our fishing grounds slightly east of the ferry routes, north of the shipping lanes . at the moment the economic and green benefits are difficult to see but as oil gets rarer and more costly the balance shifts in favour of wind energy ,once up and running they become part of the scenery we just need to navigate round them,

Personally I think they are quite cool - something hypotic \ calming about them.

It's not like digging a quarry for coal or having a huge oil refinery - if they are no longer wanted - take them down and you are left with a concrete foundation, which coudl be left, view unchanged - goes for onshore ones too.

It seems sensibe to produce the energy you want - generate electric and keep it as so, unlike gas \ coal for electric generation.

But hey - what do I know!

i seem to remember there are lots of them off the Norfolk coast. they looked like they were quite an attraction tbh and the Cornish countryside has them dotted all over the place.

i can imagine the rich people who have paid well over the odds for their sea view may be pretty peeved but no matter where they go, someone will feel/be justified in complaining.

have not fished on them no paul fish are quite rare in a field in holland !!!!! joking aside the fish wont hang around during construction the piling noise is horrendous but once up and running the piles should attract sealife the same as any other structure with the bonus that there wont be any trawlers about

have not fished on them no paul fish are quite rare in a field in holland !!!!! joking aside the fish wont hang around during construction the piling noise is horrendous but once up and running the piles should attract sealife the same as any other structure with the bonus that there wont be any trawlers about

surely there will be an exclusion zone around them.

have not fished on them no paul fish are quite rare in a field in holland !!!!! joking aside the fish wont hang around during construction  the piling noise is horrendous but once up and running the piles should attract sealife the same as any other structure with the bonus that there wont be any trawlers about

surely there will be an exclusion zone around them.

There are suppose to be exclusion zone around oil rigs, but these never stopped people going right up to them...... tongue.gif

I must say I agree with Peter

an extensive area where we can go and the trawlers can not, does not sound bad to me.

Add to that the potential for each one to act as a FAD, they could prove to be a bit of a blessing. and a mark easy to find in anything but fog.

Unless they make it a no take zone of course

I see from threads on the WSF that after construction there is no exclusion zone and blade clearance is stated as 22 metres from the sea.

Charlie biggrin.gif

With that much clearance, even our "stealth" boat could cope.

No need to anchor...drop a fender on a rope....motor around the nearest upright...pick up your own fender...then you're attached!

Could be dead sociable...several boats all picking up the same rope...dropping back till sterns all in line...passing coffees over...

Wonder how many could attach to one? Can see the "best" ones having virtual pontoons in calm weather biggrin.gif

Mike