Twin Batteries

Gas

Instead of using an ordinary relay, as on Coddy's site, I used a Voltage Sensitive Relay. This way when the altenator output reaches 13.7 volts the batteries are linked as soon as the voltage drops they separate. The relay cost

post-6-1294948029.jpg

Edited by Brian

Craig,

If you look further in the BEP catalog, they do the two isolating switches, the bridging switch and the VSR as a set, with the correct labels on (house, start and emergency), linked in the form of a square, with bridging links.

There is a Poole firm which does ALL BEP stuff, including the hard-to get bits,

John

Edited by wotu2uk

am I the only one who thinks that such 'solutions' are a sledgehammer to crack a nut for our usage profiles?

with the exception of just after starting the engine, if it's running I have over 14v in the circuit ie alternator output voltage so what would such a VSR do for me?

going the whole hog to a smartcharging system is a different matter, and I understand the relationship between charged state and usable charge - and it's importance in cruising boats!

while I'm at it I always find it amusing that these diagrams show the engine battery at a higher Ah than the ancillaries...but that's another thing entirely.

while I'm at it I always find it amusing that these diagrams show the engine battery at a higher Ah than the ancillaries...but that's another thing entirely.

duncan,

out of interest how should they be shown ?

it was interesting with grahams optima that it was only 50 a/h but has a cca of 800 for a weight of 17kg against a normal heavy duty battery 140 a/h with 760 cca for a weight of 35 kg.

thanks,

andy

The reason the diagram I put up showed the batteries like that is:

My boat came with an 85Ah Leisure battery and I happened to have a brand new 105Ah starting battery so rather than wasting money, I used what I had.

I didn't bother with isolating switches etc, as the boat lives at home in my driveway, I decided to keep things simple (less to go wrong).

The reason the diagram I put up showed the batteries like that is:

My boat came with an 85Ah Leisure battery and I happened to have a brand new 105Ah starting battery so rather than wasting money, I used what I had.

I didn't bother with isolating switches etc, as the boat lives at home in my driveway, I decided to keep things simple (less to go wrong).

Brian

I hadn't realised that you had 'created' that particular diagram - my comment was based more on a generalisation.

I have also noticed that we tend to have 'bigger' starter batteries because starting the engine is important! The reality however is that a good condition high CCA battery for the starter, and high Ah (possibly low CCA) for auxiliaries.

I will also admit that I used to designate the larger battery as 'starter' for years before I thought a little more about it - both are high CCA units. This habit was partially fed by such diagrams. rolleyes.gif