'New Look' Sea Angler..

Adam F

Bought BFM and Sea Angler today.

Was looking forward to the new look SA - as I have found it dull, and a waste of money the past 6 months - this month was to be the last chance.

I found it worse than ever! A cheap tacky rig wallet (how many of these have I had in the past year??!!) A bigger mag - yes, but just hundreds more bl&^dy adverts! Apart from the Mike Ladle interview - total tosh....wont be buying it again.

BFM - good as usual! - What about the 100lb + eagle ray! - WOW, what a catch, just a shame the guy had to kill it for the sake of fame?... unsure.gif

Got mine last Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) thru the post.

Great magazine, used to buy different one like sea angler, sea fishing from time to time. Gusangus from Solent fishing guide kindly gave me his old copies and I've been hooked since (thanks Gus). I now have it on subscription. Real shame they don't offer subsription discount (only a free beech casting type reel, beech caster in a boat fishing maz?!) like some of my other subscriptions do.

A nice write up on Portsmouth fishing club, what a lovely clubhouse and boat storage and launching/recovery. Any chance of Dorset council giving us a piece of land by the sea? rolleyes.gif

Charlie - James is lying in 3rd place, so he is 99.99% sure of a place in the finals - even if the 7 below him win their next match, he still qualifies!!! Not bad for the 1st year PBSBAC have entered!

Bob F, Billy and Me also figure in the top 50 standings - although I waited a little late before trying...looks like Ill have to wait till next year now!

Got my bfm last week as well. I have it on perscription and take it once a month laugh.giflaugh.gif ............ Well I thought it was funny tongue.gif

James give our regards to the clubs favourite skipper rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I also no longer get the Sea Angler, found it a waste of money, shame as at one time it was the only mag worth having. Ah well thats progress I suppose ph34r.gif

Kam I agree what a lovely position the portsmouth club are in, aahhhhh in our dreams tongue.gif

Martin

Well done James. Glad that the BFM got the info I have tried emails to check without response.

As to the Sea Angler I have become very dissilusioned with them,

I can not work out how they judge their fish of the month, especially the juniors

over the years the boys have had several very good fish, all have been sent in to eagerly await the next issue.

If they get in at all, they then get beaten by smaller specimens caught on charter boats or fish so big they could not have been landed by tiny kids without help.

Its their Mag I suppose they decide what gets in.

Out of interest which Pompey Club are featured?

Charlie

Charlie, it's the Fountain Lake Angling club.

It's next to the bridge/gate to Whale Island. The club has over the year, built up a large membership and managed to presuade Portsmouth Council to give them the land and build their own club house and car park (not to mention the 35 tonnes lifting crane or the forthcoming slipway tongue.gif ).

It's next to the bridge/gate to Whale Island. The club has over the year, built up a large membership and managed to presuade Portsmouth Council to give them the land and build their own club house and car park (not to mention the 35 tonnes lifting crane or the forthcoming slipway tongue.gif ).

Think big men!!

What about making something like this a long term aim. After all Poole Council can only say no biggrin.gif

Mad Mike

Yes Adam their fees must be a bit steep.

Our 16 ton lift at work cost about 80k. even second hand they cost a lot.

Thats a big commitment for the Club but some very nice facilities

Did anyone notice the boats on page 98 of the BFM, what a fine bunch

Well Done James, Adam and Bob for getting in to the BFM top 60 in the Suzuki League.

Best of luck in the final James, you must be sure of a place now.

By my records you have 185 points and the worst place you could finish is 8th

You had better bring Tara this way and start practicing mate, its a bit different to Christchurch ledge wink.gifwink.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

Christ!...the membership fee must be high to afford all that?

Not sure how much they charge, I'll find out tomorrow.

Even if the membership fee is high, but the facilities are so good, the saving over the course of the year must claw back some of the fee. At the moment most Portsmouth Slips don't charge a fee to launch, but [almost] all charge to park, car and trailer, that is probably a tenner a go. The club is wire fenced and you know the trailer will be there when you come back. The only downside is that part of Portsmouth harbour dries up during low tide and I'd guess the slip is only usable at 1/2 the tidal range.

QUOTE (Newboy @ Sep 21 2004, 05:31 PM)

It's next to the bridge/gate to Whale Island. The club has over the year, built up a large membership and managed to presuade Portsmouth Council to give them the land and build their own club house and car park (not to mention the 35 tonnes lifting crane or the forthcoming slipway  ). 

Think big men!!

What about making something like this a long term aim. After all Poole Council can only say no 

Mad Mike

Thinking big and digging deep would be the order of the day to achieve something like that. How do you develop a club to that extent? There must be funding available, eec, lottery, grants etc. The biggest problems as I see would be 1. all the agencies that give funding want a large chunk put in by the organisation applying and 2. Land exorbertant prices round here!

Martin

May be worth speaking to them and see how they have gone about it.

The article did say that the chairman had devoted much of his life to getting this - that is a MASSIVE step - we as a comitte have a hard enough task with what we currently do.

Also - we need to consider whether we actually want this type of facilities - would we actually get enough use from it, and would it prove cost effective? My first thoughts are that it wouldnt. I am more than happy with the club at present and think the chairman and other long standing comittee members have done a stirling job. We are a club made from a huge mixture of boats, abilities, needs, wants and requirements - sure the Portsmouth Club house looks the dogs nutts, but doesnt mean it would suit us.

Mini Rant over!..... biggrin.gif

I wonder if on a 'chairman to chairman' basis if it would be worth while asking them? The president is there in Poole. Years ago there was a council compound, a slip and a hut at Hamworthy Park. It was near the old power station outlet. There was an association of some sort that ran it and paid a peppercorn rent to the council.

Mad Mike

PS Martin you were going to PM or Phone me re the press thing.

One way is to think big and go the whole hog. Another way is to do it in small steps.

How about first seeing if we can use our Clubs "buying power" to negotiate discounted rates for the use of a deep slip and moorings, like Mitchell's for example?

And maybe there is a building or room within the yard that we can use, borrow, share, hire for our club meetings and/or storage of equipment and gear.

Our club is really terrific, but I guess one thing we cannot offer is the means to get boats into the water or keep them on the water. One of the biggest ways to attract even more members would be to offer discounted access to a slip way and moorings.

That's why the clubs in the mags have such big memberships, they offer access to the water, typically through the use of their own slips, but I see no reason why a club couldn't use it's buying power to negotiate discounted rates.

Wouldn't Mitchell's be interested in getting the business from 40-60 boats?

From a little acorn grows a mightly oak...

Bob F

I don't think you have that much buying power other than out of season. The overall community (boat owners not locals!) is significant in season and there is more of an undersupply than anything else.

I would have thought, as implied in some posts already, that an appeal to the council on the back of 'local issue for local people' would be your best chance of success or doing a winter bulk deal somewhere. The latter suffers from a parking issue - int eh winter Cobbs has so many boats out on the hard that you would be hard pushed to park 6 rigs anywhere!

Might be able to do something at Rockley between Nov-Feb; happy to approach them in principle if people are interested ?

Its a big task

and I think it would tke a lot of work.

I know the two Clubs in Pompey that have lots of facilities both have big membership and have to attract people to use the Club to keep them viable.

When I was a Member of Southsea Club, they had more people using the Clubhouse for Bingo than to discuss fishing, and the game machines in the bar were a vital source of income.

and We struggled to maintain the compound and equipment between the membership to keep the cost down.

There is no problem aiming high if someone has the drive, enthusiasm and time to get behind it.

I can not think of a suitable site, with slipway and shore side facilities locally,

if they are being run correctly they should have waiting lists for at least there marina facilities so therefore they would gain nothing by offering a cheap rate deal to a Club.

There is so much demand here for all the available space for various boats, trailers and Cars that accepting more at full rate would be hard, cheap rate deals even in the winter are not available.

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

How about Salterns?? There's a slip at the end of the car park area ............ is it ever used? .......... I 've never seen anyone on it!........... not a lot of water I know but only dries on lowww tides.

The car park area's reasonable and only seems busy at peak summer weekends and special events.

Could it be a little start ........... to other facilities there.

Alun.

Salterns is about the most expensive Marina on the South Coast.

and he still has a good waiting list for berths.

Even though they have supported the Club every year with a good prize in the Open Comp. I am not sure thats the place to start.

But I could well be wrong.

Charlie biggrin.gif

I wonder if we could get a Poole councilor on 'our side' in the terms of sorting out a home and a slip. Someone mentioned the 'For the good of the community' gambit and IMO this could be more productive than any of the private clubs/business' who tend to be a bit 'up there own arse' anyway. As Charley says If you can fill every space with out of town visitors who hardly ever come down and disturb your peace as opposed to a lot of smelly fishermen who are in and out at the most ungodly of hours, which would you choose? There are plenty of examples along the south coast of council owned forshore leased to fishermen who have organised themselves into a club, why not Poole as well?

Mad Mike

Martin, a little detective work on the the local councillors will show their leanings towards or against anglers, and indeed field sports in general. The current climate is for a total ban on hunting, driven shoots are the next objective in their sights, and I'm afraid, angling will eventually come to the fore. All of us have to remember that we have a basic right under european legislation to fish, shoot, hunt with hounds, or languish in front of our TV on a saturday, picking our noses. But believe me, they will eventually point their gun at us. (I am still a keen falconer, and we set up a fighhting fund 7 years ago, to get legal advice for just this, and believe you me, we need it now, as falconry is getting pretty high on the list for banning!)

Council members like the power that they possess, implied or otherwise, as a local police officer, I spent many many hours sitting at the back of all our three parish council meetings. A suggestion is to get a few well camouflaged members into parish council meetings and listen to matters in hand to get to know the council. Then you will have an idea on whether they are pro or against angling, and save a lot of energies in the process. In the AOB session at the end of each meeting, just like ours, the public gates the chance to qustion the local councillors......here is your window of opportunity. I would do the job myself, but I'm miles away.....you need a local council tax payer to do it.

Regards, Rich