Trailer Hub Flush Kit

Fugazi

You can get brass ends like housed in the bracket under the step in my photos, but I've never seen or found brass versions of the bit that screws into the backplate.

I was going to get some made up out of metal (ally possibly) which just have a blank end for the hosepipe to slip over and be fastened with a stainless hose clip. The Hoselock connection at that end isn't really necessary.

Edited by charlieannear

Guys, all your concerns for my trailer are really heartfelt.... and are choking me up...

No - not yet (bearing savers)

No- not yet (stainless cables)

I will put the former on before it even touches the ground again, and the latter are still quite new and servicable.

By the way, Looking recently at Charlies pictures of Hubs etc

I was told not to grease the double lock style brake shoes, as this can prevent them from 'rolling off' when you pull forward ??

Also I've also been told not to grease wheel studs, just keep them wire brushed and clean.

Paul

• 5 months later...

tried to service my trailer for the first time at the weekend. A friend was showing me how to remove the bearings. when we removed the cap and took out all the old grease we were expecting to see a nut with a pin in. what we found was a circlip, spring and then a disc with a grease nipple on. after removing this we could see a nut with what looked like a pin through but as this was not what my friend was expecting to see we stopped there rather than ending up with a load of parts and not being able to get them back together. is this a bearing saver, and is it just a case of gently tapping it to remove the collar to get at the nut. Although i have no experience in this i feel it should be something i would be capable of and would like to be able to check my bearings and brakes regulary.

any advice greatly appreciated.

i would also look to fit a flushing kit at some stage.

Richard,

The HubDuck website has a video showing how to fit them. ( It's on my list next time I service the hubs ).

Check back through the forum, we ran a thread on this a couple of years back.

I posted some good photos.

Jim

I have just witnessed the launching of Star Turn, we will not mention the slight snags incurred, as the boat is happily afloat and out with the air show.

when the trailer came out is was very easy to use a yard hose to flush the bearings via the fittings on the back of the wheels.

Charlie biggrin.gif

thanks for the reply jim but i'm more concerned about the bearings at the moment. i have read the thread on the hubduck and it looks fairly straight forward but it is a job for the future, after i'm competent at taking the hub/bearings apart.

I have just witnessed the launching of Star Turn, we will not mention the slight snags incurred, as the boat is happily afloat and out with the air show.

when the trailer came out is was very easy to use a yard hose to flush the bearings via the fittings on the back of the wheels.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Oh, go on, post the photos of the slight hitch... biggrin.gif

Richard,

If you have a bearing saver fitted then its just a case of tapping/hitting from side to side until it works out - they are inserted about 1/4" into the hub recess.

If you are at the very large castellated nut stage, then the only thing I would do is try to assess the amount of slack or mark the position on the nut where the split pin goes through, as a guide to how tight to fit it when tightening it up.

I wouldnt worry too much about not getting it back together - its fairly agricultural and straighforward. My brakes and bearings just fell apart, so I used pictures of the hub and brakes from the internet and a bit of trial and error to make sure they went back correctly - but I suppose if you can clean them up and photograph them before disassembly it might help. In my case it took me a month to get the bearings ordered so I didnt put the things back together straight away, so it was a bit of a memory test.

Go on and have a go, its worth the effort!!

Paul

cheers paul.

my only concern is that the boat is at my parents in somerset 100 miles from my house! i hope to get it apart and back together again the same day so as not to miss any fishing opertunities. i'm down there next weekend so will have a look then. good idea on the photograph front though.

cheers again

dicky.