Trailer Hub Flush Kit

Fugazi

I've just had both my engines serviced this week and decided tonight it was time to look at the trailer as well. I used to overhaul the wheel bearings and brakes once a month, but since fitting a hub flush kit this has extended to every six months. Having removed the drums I was amazed to find everything absolutely in perfect working order with virtually no corrosion and only some emulsification of the grease. I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them to show the results before I strip down, clean & re-grease everything. I think the cost of the kit was around

I'll endorse all of that, Gordon. I've had mine on two years now and check them around 6 months and service once a year. Perfick! However, I do normally launch from Wick, which helps.

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

Ooh...... blink.gifblink.gif

Gordon/ Terry sounds like you have cracked it.. I'm still on the learning curve.

Today stripped down one side, and perhaps I'll post some photos as well to show what it lookes like without the flush kit.

In may 2008 I had new bearings and brake shoes, the trailer has done less than 50 miles and been sitting in the dinghy park slowly "rusting in peace"

perhaps you get the picture.....

weep.gifweep.gif

Paul

I should have taken the time to fit those when I changed the brake shoes.

I dread to think what state my brakes are in now.

They have only been in there about 12 months and in the sea 3 - 4 times.

Salt's good on Chips but not on Brakes.

Jim

seen something alot cheaper..... tongue.gif

http://hubduck.com/

any good ? wink.gif

seen them on ebay, but dont deliver mad.gif

If there was a good plumber around perhaps they could let us know what 'bits' we need ? ph34r.gif

Gary

if you scroll down to the bottom of the advert on ebay you will see it says FREE UK DELIVERY.

I am about to order one and see biggrin.gif

If you look even closer it says delivery with a star above it like this delivery* then scroll down....collect in person.....

let us know how you get on

what about a brass tank connector with a hose pipe tap reducer attached to the thread side, or would this be too big ? blink.gif

Gary

I'll be following this one !

Steel bits in salty stuff - - - - not good.

Jim

My whole trailer is steel unsure.gif .

In all seriousness, the hub duck kits look like brass but the flush kit does look like a much better job.

I think I have tried the cheap route enough already with this boat set up so will probably spend the extra and get the ones that have been tried and tested by members.

Yes, I too have launched elsewhere and all is still fine.

Make sure you service your brakes before fitting as, if the shoes are lingering a bit, the heat generated will melt the plastic jets in the drum. They are very easy to fit and you won't be disappointed with the extra investment.

Terry.

I actually bought my trailer from the people selling that hubduck in Staines and it was supposed to have a flushing kit included.

It wasn't till I uses it the first time I realised it wasn't there, but by that time i was nearly 100 miles away with a ton and a half of boat on it!

I'm just about to fit something similar to the Hub duck, cost 25p... from inexcess. Charlie A has already done this on his sheltie. although ours are plastic they look identical to the the hub duck ie just a nozzle without any sprayjets.

The Hub duck fits into the brake shoe inspection hole, with a back nut ? But i'm going to run a tap into the backplate, using the kit Charlie A lent me last night.

They also seem to claim its a selling point not giving you the tubing to join both hubs up to a common hozelock fitting, so you end up kneeling on the ground to do this. Still simple enough to fit some garden hose with cable ties.

Paul

I installed the "Frannear Hub Flush System" 12 months ago with cheap hoselok-type fittings from InExcess and some hose cut off the reel in my garden.

I also bought a 1/4" BSP tap and a 11.5mm drill from ebay to enable the fitting of the hoselok thingy into the backplates.

When I strip my hubs down in the next couple of weeks I'll report what they look like now!

Any pics would be very welcome.....or a 'look see' rolleyes.gif

as i'm trying to do something similar.....at the moment i take the dust cap off at the back plate and use the hose pipe to flush the brakes, good in the summer but in the winter on your knees with a hose going all over your face ain't much fun laugh.gif

don't fancy paying out a fortune if it can be made myself...or with the help of others unsure.gif

Gary

In short, I drilled a hole to 11.5mm, then tapped the hole with a 1/4" BSP thread.

I then screwed in a small hoselok fitting from InExcess (25p) which has a male Hoselock on one end and a 1/4"BSP thread on the other. user posted image

(Not sure what this fitting is called, but it is Hoselock 2287, and they generally have a tub full in InExcess.)

user posted image

I then have a short length of garden hose with a Hoselock on each end. One clicks onto the fitting attached to the backplate, the other is secured to a bracket which I made out of a bit of alloy and attached to the trailer.

user posted image

I did the same on the other side, and have both free ends attached on the same side of the trailer (the side which is easiest to get to when the trailer is parked up on my drive.

user posted image

Additional: On my trailer there isn't much clearance between the Hoselock fitting on the backplate, and the trailer itself. This has meant that a couple of the Hoselock thingies have got snapped off when I left the hose attached to it (due to suspension travel). I intend to replace this with a similar fitting machined out of metal with the hose attached to it with a normal stainless hose clip (it doesn't really need the Hoselock at that end).

Also, garden hose doesn't like to make sharp bends (it kinks) so I'm going to make up a 90 degree bend with a bit of copper pipe to solve this.

I had a real blitz on rust in and around this area at the time (pictures available in my album and will be interested (!) to see how it looks after 12 months! ...(mostly of sitting still on my drive, but it has had a few dips in the briney...)

Edited by charlieannear

Like that, but with an even smaller screw thread.

I've only ever seen them in InExcess, and they are a proper Hoselock part.

At only 25p each I buy a quid's worth when I see them! smile.gif

I'll get a pic of one next time I venture up to my shed!

**EDIT**

They are like this: 2287 1/4" BSP Hoselock But only 25p in the InExcess shop rather than

Edited by charlieannear