12 replies to this topic

#1 will church

will church

Cod Hauler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

I occassionaly get back to fish the Blackwater in Essex, where I grew up but have still not mastered in any sense of the word for fishing. Rumour has it there are great tope and reasonable bass to be had, along with the occassional skate.

Whenever I get round to going there for a fish I never have a chance to get any ragworm before hand and the tackle shops are very badly set up for selling it (you cannot pre buy or book it seems, and anyway they are normally shuut when I need to launch.) We don't get mackerel up the estuary (well I never heard of them anyway)and I'm never organised enough to collect anything so bait is always a problem.

I know hardback is a great bait for spurdogs - but would they work for bass/skate? I can always get a supply using my drop net.

Failing that any ideas?!? It is a mud estuary with very occassional gravel patches, and empties out to very little at low tide.

Thanks as ever

Will

#2 markee_b

markee_b

Cod Hauler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

I fished the Blackwater on a charter a couple of years back and had a very good day made up mostly of smoothhound, plus a couple of thornies and a couple of bass. All of this was to peeler crab though. Bait and Tackle of Southend are good for these as is Jetty Angling.

Failing that it's long been told that eel section works for the tope, and herring for the skate (in season)....sorry, but I've not heard that hardbacks are up to much.

#3 large fries

large fries

Cod Hauler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

Will,
We,on Aquafresh,have found that for solent smuts hardback crabs are as good as peelers.Fish them either live or chopped in half and both halves mounted on a 5/0 razor claw big bend.Cant guarantee they will work on Blackwater but worth a go

#4 will church

will church

Cod Hauler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

Nice one, thanks mate...Will give it a go.

#5 TomBettle

TomBettle

Marlin Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Hi Will

The Solent smoothies go ape for hardbacks, the only thing to outfish them is hermit crab fresh or frozen. Can't see it would be much different on the Blackwater.

Skate as Rupert says, mackerel fillet or herring segment is usually the bait around there.

Tope, the Tope season is beginning to drop off now and the Blackater is famous from it's hay days in the 80's with skippers like Cox and Rawle getting superb catches to segments of eel fished uptide. There marks were someway from the estuary up onto the midway banks of the Thames.

Tom

#6 will church

will church

Cod Hauler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Tom

Do the bass hit them ever?

#7 TomBettle

TomBettle

Marlin Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (will church @ July 17, 2006 04:17 pm)
Thanks Tom

Do the bass hit them ever?

Apparently yes, but never to me, but then my Bass catching record is certainly not the greatest! ph34r.gif

#8 Gnasher

Gnasher

Marlin Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

as there is no maccy, i would of thought u would be able to catch a few smelt live baits. floatfish tiny pieces of bread for them. Just a thought.

#9 will church

will church

Cod Hauler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

nice idea, I must try that.

#10 Gruffy

Gruffy

DogFish catcher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

Will, have you ever considered using plug fishing gear? If the water shallows out enough - say to 10 feet or less - it would be well worth your while flinging out some shallow diving lures or surface poppers / sliders, especially if you can find some fast water around sand banks or other obstructions in the water. You'll find this approach to bass fishing is extremely addictive, once you've broke your duck and your confidence is lifted with a catch or two. You'll never be stuck for bait or a way to fish if you have the gear to use lures. Be a sport though, and put the big 'uns back.
Al

#11 will church

will church

Cod Hauler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

not sure I'd recognise a big bass sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I expect they look like the small ones but bigger!

Joking aside we suffer from a lot of weed etc, but I'll try a weedless and see what happens. Thanks for your advice.

#12 Newboy

Newboy

Marlin Master

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

Some plugs come with weedguard and they work pretty well.

#13 DommyBoy

DommyBoy

Shark Chaser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

Or you could just buy a few fresh macky or herring from tesco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dom

Reply to this topic