alun j.

Christchurch

A brief 'Heads up' to those members using Christchurch........

The sandbar at the entrance has grown a lot recently.......and the yellow buoys could lead you into a shallow trap !

If leaving.....as you get near the last yellow, turn towards the shore and head towards the beach huts along Avon Beach, then a big wide arc to swing out.  This would be about double the length to last yellow.

Any significant swell and I'd not venture out.

Alun.

I was down to 1.5 ft coming in on Sunday when the tide was at 0.7. That was on a course of SE from the last yellow. It was scary. Luckily with the ne wind and no swell it went OK but was still not great. I'll have a look at the course you mention. Do you mean do a left just before the last yellow? 

Going out.......

when you get close to last yellow buoy, you will see waves standing up on the shallow water all around it.....so ..go parallel to shore or a bit closer to the shore....and you need to go quite a long way before you can around the end of the Bar.

Alun

A few changes when I was out this week.

There is now more water near the last yellow buoy.....and as long as not much swell, you can go in/out close to it.

Generally shallower than before between last two buoys...and wider with no particular channel.

Alun.

Nice calm day [and mild !], so fancied some fresh air and a trip out. 

Arrived on the quay to see long lines of breakers all down the Bar....and no apparent easy way through.

U- turn and back home for breakfast !

Alun

Safety first ! ...it's more the coming back in than the getting out .

For a minute i thought you were goign to say you went to the dark side - e.g. Baiter!

I suppose Lymington would be an option but way over your current 3 mile tow to Mudeford.

Better luck next time Al!

R

5 hours ago, alun j. said:

Nice calm day [and mild !], so fancied some fresh air and a trip out. 

Arrived on the quay to see long lines of breakers all down the Bar....and no apparent easy way through.

U- turn and back home for breakfast !

Alun

Safety first ! ...it's more the coming back in than the getting out .

I hate going out when it's borderline. I'm always distracted all day worrying about the bar coming home. Not a relaxed day.