Mal Thomas

Near miss whilst at Anchor off Southbourne.

Yesterday at 1.00pm I was very frightened by a 15 mtr flybrige motor vessel steering directly at me for two miles from the IOW. The vessel showed no sign of moving off what looked like an autopilot route until he was within 300 yards of me travelling in excess of 25 knots in a snotty sea with white tops. He missed me by know more than 100 yards, I could see two men clearly sat on the flybridge.

I reported the vessel to Solent Coastguard, I was inshock whilst making the call. The speed at which he made the crossing to the Entrance was very very quick. I was so shocked, I ended my day there and then and went inshore whilst the tide flooded in. As soon as there was enough water I went in still in shock, thinking of what could have happened.

As with all these things I gauge them by how I feel the next day about the incident, the truth is bl--dy mad, so much so I have sent an email to the Harbour commissioners at Poole and informed them of all the times and as much description as I could give.

This spot is obviously on direct route for the IOW from Poole, I think it will be a long time before I anchor there again. BTW my black anchor ball was on display, not that this skipper would have paid any attention to that.

Sorry to report such an incident but I think this behaviour is on the rise.

Blimey Mal!

Rocket flare across the bow?

We had a Hardy 42 heading for us on dolphin sands Saturday. But they made a nice deliberate turn 500yds off and waved on passing. Nice to see them keeping a lookout.

One thing I like about the open boats is being able to see easily what is happening all around.

R

Hi Mal 

Had a close call on the dogfish Dave comp travelling out of poole entrance 

Had a bigish cruiser come between me and a yacht he was obviously speeding he got that close his wash came over and into my cabin total

We had a couple of large boats pass close to us whilst off Southbourne rough but not as close as this. I think these people are watching their GPS rather than paying attention to what’s in front of them, no consideration for other people

100yds! wow you're lucky.

People pass me flat out at approx 25yds all the time when I'm anchored in and around the bay. There's literally open sea everywhere but I'm like a magnet that boats head for and then slightly adjust course at the last minute. 

I'm in a MF805 so not exactly small and the sea keeping is reasonable, yet I get water over the back and side regularly and anything that's not fixed down gets thrown around inside. My fishing partner (pops) regularly has to take a knee whilst putting the kettle on due to the hammering we take from near misses. 

It happens so often that we are getting used to it and just accept it as the selfish standard. We have questioned other boat users as to why they have come so close and when I say questioned I mean asked at a normal conversation volume not shout because the boats really are that close to us. We just get filthy looks in reply. 

A couple of weeks ago we were anchored at the secret ray Mark with 4/5 other boats. All within a decent cast of each other. Some plumb blastsed across the wreck and through the middle of our anchored semicircle. The channel was literally a stones throw away and empty yet this tw4t did that....

Mal it's not only power craft. Pete Rusell and me were tied up to a mooring buoy on the edge of the main channel a few weeks ago and a 30ft plus sail boat came to within 6ft of my transom. This boat was racing and going at a hell of a speed despite our shouting and screeming he only turned away at the very last second, if Boblin had swung on the mooring it would have been a disaster.

I know exactly how you felt, we were so scared and shocked we didn't get his sail number or name and I didn't even think to get a picture. We were both so shocked that we couldn't stop shacking for hours. In hind sight I should have cut the mooring and chased after the twat, but to be honest I was in shock and didn't know what I was doing for quite some time after.

Next day I was really angry with my self for not getting details of the boat and angry with the selfish twat who nearly ran us down while tied up to a mooring.

It’s not only large sailing boats. I was at anchor near the east bramble bouy on Saturday and got plagued by 14-15ft dingys. I have my anchor bouy out and 3 rods and they still persisted to come within 2 meters of the boat. I know it’s not as scary as a big gin palace bearing down on you but it was annoying all the same. Yes they were racing but, they could have used just another 5 meters of water to sail through instead. WAFI’s (lots not all) seem to think they have a god given right to the square meterage I’m anchored in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had same problem on ray mark a few weeks ago with a sailing yacht, could see him coming straight at me............give him a loud blast and he turned slowly going astern of me , all rods out, he went about 15 yards behind me. 

The greeting I gave him was " is there not enough fuc###g ocean for you"   

They just look at you with contempt, ignorant bastards!

Last year with wife and 11 year grandaughter on board we were coming in towards Poole, out of main channel at 10 knots, saw large cruiser coming from poole in main channel at high speed  .............the pratt decided he wanted to go into studland so he  cut across my  bow  missing us by 20yards, he got a loud blast and I got the finger, needless to say  it scared the life out of wife and grandaughter !!!

Why do these people think they have the right to cause others a problem?

You can imagine what their road driving is like !!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

If you get this problem with Sailing boats take a note of their details especially the Club that they belong too.

write to the Club and its Commodore, sometimes that carries more clout

Or just sod all of the above and throw a handful of smelly ground-bait up into the sails, they do not even like to put their sails away wet. Lol

This is very worrying and it must Terrify the yakkers !:(

I;m no fan of box ticking and stopping people enjoying themselves but this is not good.

I've been intending to buy one of those compressed air horns. This has just moved it up the list.

I frequently find " shrove Tuesday enthusiasts " want to come very close to me.

I think it's just the naughty boy in them that gives them a giggle.

I liked Kam's suggestion.

Hand Grenades wasn't it ? ? :lol:

Jim

If all else fails, seems like it has been getting worse!! 

Any near misses in and around Poole can / should be reported on channel 14 to PHC. Including stunts from ferries, there's another can of worms!! IMG_1476.JPG.46cb7522cef9b01258a6d88ad9162597.JPG

6 hours ago, Steve H said:

We had a couple of large boats pass close to us whilst off Southbourne rough but not as close as this. I think these people are watching their GPS rather than paying attention to what’s in front of them, no consideration for other people

Southbourne rough was not far inside me, still on transit route like I said.

I have filled in a Miab report and given all the details I could. By chance I was on the Quayside at Poole today and quess what I saw and then tracked down into Cobbs, yes a perfect match to the boat that frightned the hell out of me.

1 hour ago, Mal Thomas said:

I have filled in a Miab report and given all the details I could. By chance I was on the Quayside at Poole today and quess what I saw and then tracked down into Cobbs, yes a perfect match to the boat that frightned the hell out of me.

And did you get the name for your report?

Sorry to hear about your experience Mal. But as ever any fool can take hold of a boat not even knowing what port and stbrd means, it appears it’s becoming more common.

I have experience of Dutch barges and navy cutters and when I mentioned horn signals to one of the bods at Ridge Wharf , he just laughed and said “ Most people won’t know what the hell you are talking about” Ho Hum we just need to be aware that there are a lot of idiots about. Money and their  increased income as boat owners doesn’t make them mariners or even boaters. 

There! I’ve said my piece.

I fish around there a lot and have similar experience. We had several near misses last Friday and the wake off a sunseeker nearly put my mate overboard while unhooking a tope! They all seemed unmanned.  

All related replies to this pertaining to video editing now moved (I think) That was a bloody work up as each post had to be moved individually.  Please can you try and police yourselves as it is rather time consuming, not moaning just saying..................well yes I am moaning especially as I have now after the fact found an easier way to do it :scream:

9 hours ago, Bassdaze said:

I fish around there a lot and have similar experience. We had several near misses last Friday and the wake off a sunseeker nearly put my mate overboard while unhooking a tope! They all seemed unmanned.  

Having been through the process of reporting as perscribed, Iam now going to buy the loudest airhorn, I will give them 5 loud blast's. Hopefully it will embarrass the rest of their crew whilst carrying out a nuatical signal.