Sign in to follow this  
steven5404

lobster/crab pot licence

Hi guys, just a quick question that I cannot find an answer for on the Internet. Do I need a licence to catch lobster and crab in a couple of pots for personal consumption. I hold a licence for Wales but cannot find anything for the south of England. Thanks steve

I understand you are allowed to take 2 lobsters per day. Someone will, no doubt, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Steven

I think the reason you can't find anything on this is because you do not need a licence as long as your catch is for personal consumption only - you can't sell it. They don't highlight what isn't needed (ie a licence). Some IFCA's have bag limits for personal consumption, but not the Southern IFCA at present. There are minimum landing sizes to be adhered to and you must return any berried lobster or any lobster with a notched tail. For the definitive word, email the Southern IFCA (see their website)

Cheers

Nigel (and best of luck!)

Thanks Nigel, I thought that might be the case as I could not find any info but thought I would double check just to make sure.in Wales you had to be licensed even to take any for personal consumption.

Hate to say it, but be prepared to loose your pot as I am sure the unscrupulous commercial will lift your pot and keep anything inside and maybe your pot.

Make sure you ID the marker buoy well so you can see it again!