THE RIPPS!!!

Adam F

Well, after the wrecking we all enjoyed in Alderney, my palate has been wet for a little bit of deep water action on my own boat.

Martin and I have discussed it, and reckon the Ripps look like a good idea.

Who wants to come and when?

The plan would be to pick a nice settled forecast, them steam out in convoy. As it is an area of rough ground and not wreck, their should be enough room for several boats.

I think it is about 20 miles? Is Poole best to launch from?

Adam

Hi Adam

Yep I am up for it. I would launch from Poole, I think it is slightly more than 20 miles but will check that. A mid tide would be best to avoid the worst of the chop given by big tides on marks like this. A smaller tide would also save us on fuel as you would probably want to drift this mark for cod + pollock etc.

Who else is up for it?

Martin

Look on your charts. From how martin and Pete Jnr described it, about 26 miles SE of Poole (SE/SW??) It is an area of very rough ground, as rough as any wreck, and littered with Pollock now, and Cod in a few weeks.

Crusing at 15-18knts it will take around 1.5 hours, stopping for a few mackeral on the way to break up the trip.

First week in June??

So:

Blue Warrior

Splash Out

Maverick

Loyal Royal

I think that should do it...unless anyone else wants to join the party?

That is 8 fishing. Now all we need is the weather.

Shall we pencil June 5/6th in the diary? Anyone know what the tides are for then?

Hi all

May is a good time for the RIPs

1 point you should note, last time we fished it [2 weeks ago] we were in 248ft of water. plenty of Pollack no COD.

So if you are thinking of anchoring you will need a long warp.

Tight lines

Charlie

As the first week in June is the school break I hope to be down from the 29th May untill the 7th June and would love to run out there on a suitable day - have you thought of the bank holiday 30th - tides will be smaller?

The other thing is that the Lulworth ranges will be closed over this period so there is always the fall back option of dropping onto the inshore grounds there as well.

Charlie

Talking to Mr. Caines on our recent trip that you might of heard about, he said that the pollock are on the channel marks first with cod coming in a little later and that the next week or two should see their arrival.

So fingers crossed that he is right as I have enough Pollock in the freezer.

Adam any date for me is fine except for club comps which I will be fishing in preference to other excursions.

Martin

You might want to gang up a bit to keep the cost down say 3 in a boat instead of two.

It might be tight while drifting but im sure it will be quite expensive to burn all that fuel.

anyone got an idea of fuel cost for a run like this?

Paul J